Cold Plaster walls

I am doing some work on our older (1950s) home, and am looking for some ideas to resolve our problem with the outside walls being cold to the touch during the winter months.

I have verified that the outside walls are insolated with fiberglass batting. Looking inside the hole I had cut for a outlet, the wall (starting from the against the stud on the outside of the wall) is what appears to be a waxed or treated paper layer, Fiberglass batting, paper layer again, plaster (about 3/4" thick), another paper layer, more plaster (3/4" thick again), covered by a harder (1/16" to 1/8" thick) I'm guessing paint and some sort of sealer.

The house itself is a single floor with basement, on the South Eastern side of a hill in Northern Ontario. There is a triplex on the North side of the house, and a two story house on the other side of the house (little house is well sheltered).

The house is natural Gas heated, Forced air furnace, and a 3 stage venmar (can't spell this morning) covering the basement, main floor, and adic.

Any recommendations or ideas?

Mike mlawrenc(at)gmail.com

Reply to
mike

You may be experiencing apparent cooling by conduction. If the air temperature close to the wall is adequate, I would not worry. If a draft issued from the hole cut for the outlet, you may want to try sealing the wall. T

Reply to
AAllc.architects

well you could install siding and add a layer of foam......

or remove your plaster walls:( remove fiberglass and install foam insulation its R value is R6 per inch.

Reply to
hallerb