Code for a Light inside Walkin Closet

I have a walkin closet that is approx. 10ft by 4ft and am adding a light to it. When you walk in the closet you make an imediate left. On the right is the shelving and on the left is a wall running down the 10ft. I am adding the light in the middle of the closet not above the door. I know the code is 12" away from the shelves for incandecent and 6" away for fluorescent. My question is how far from the wall on the left do I have to be?
Thanks,
Scott
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Actually, the Code defines closet "storage space" as being 12" out from the walls, or the width of the shelves, whichever is *greater* [that's more than 6 feet from the floor; below 6 feet, it's 24"] -- and requires the fixture to be 12" or 6" outside that space, depending on whether it's incandescent or fluorescent.
[Note that this is *not* a complete definition of storage space. Consult the Code, Article 410.8, for the full definition.]

6" outside the storage space envelope for fluorescent, or 12" for incandescent. Assuming there are no shelves on that wall, that means 18" or 24" from the wall.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

be clearer than the code.

door is less restricted, which is useful for small closets; but this closet isn't exactly small.]
-- bud--

So is a ceramic socket with a twisty flourescent bulb in it an incadescant fixture, or a flourescent one?
And does code govern low-voltage flexible electroluminescent tape like this stuff
http://www.beingseen.com/flatlite.html
at all?
Goedjn wrote:

any time.

it probably falls under NEC 725 - remote control and limited power. NEC 725 also covers doorbells and furnace thermostats.
-- bud--
When in doubt ask the inspector/building department.
It's *their* opinion that matters!
RickR

closet lights in all closets five square feet or larger. All closet lights shall be recessed or fluorescent with a solid lens covering the bulb.
Are you quoting a code? If so which one?
RickR