Clothes dryer timer motor doesn't move

The knob I use to select drying time in this White-Westinghouse dryer doesn't move, regardless of whether set for timed or automatic drying. With the dryer running, I measure 120 V across the motor. Resistance across the motor, with one lead disconnected from everything, is 3000 ohms, which is about what it should be based on the 3 watt rating stamped on it. Electrically, the motor seems okay. Looks like a mechanical failure (e.g., gears) within the timer assembly. Anything else I might be missing?
Thanks,
Ray
Ray K wrote:

Hi,
If the timer motor is getting 110-120 volts AC in all timer settings ( timed and auto cycles ) but the timer is not advancing/moving....certainly sounds like new timer time! Doesn't have to be a stripped gear, something could be binding/seizing up as well and failing.
Appliance Repair Aid wrote:

One other thing that probably confirms mechanical problems: Seems to me that originally I could twist the timer knob only clockwise. Now I can twist it either way.
Sounds like you have isolated the problem. Excellent work.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Mastermech wrote: