Closet light recommendations

I am looking to add lights to some of our non-walk-in closets.

My inclination would be to mount a simple lighting strip above the inside of the door frame so that the light shines on the clothes but the receptacle itself is out-of-sight.

Does this make sense? Is a flourescent strip light (say 24" or 36") the best choice here? If so any specific recommendations on styles or models?

Thanks, Jeff

Reply to
Jeffrey J. Kosowsky

Sure. I have lighting like that in my closets. It's very convenient. Don't spend much on fixtures.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

The NEC addresses this in 410-8. You describe if I understand, mount the fixture on the wall above the door. You need at least 6 inches of clear space to nearest storage space and no exposed bulbs. Ever looked into the battery lights. touch on touch off

Reply to
SQLit

12" for a surface mounted incandescent fixture, 6" for a fluorescent or recessed fixture. Note that storage space includes, for a height above 6 feet (or the highest rod, if higher), all space within 12" (or shelf width, if wider) of the back and side walls. Below this height, it expands to 24" from the back and side walls.

So you can't legally install a closet light in a closet less that 36" wide? That seems a little bizarre.

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

I am very surprised someone hasn't come up with a LED based light that could be safely installed in the storage space. Of course they would have to get it listed and accepted in the code. If someone reads the code literally, the battery operated "tap light" is not legal either.

Reply to
Greg

LED lights still generate waste heat (I guess in the same way your computer CPU generates waste heat). I think they are only 1-2 times as efficient as fluorescents.

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

depends if they read the part that describes what's covered by code and what's not.

Reply to
default