Cleaning porcelain burner grates

I have a cooktop with porcelain burner grates. The grates have acquired some brown stains from burnt on grease. I have tried running them through the dishwasher but it had little effect on the stains.
What is the easiest way to remove these stains? Would putting them in the oven on a self cleaning cycle be safe and effective? Thank you in advance for all replies.
--
Whenever I hear or think of the song "Great green gobs of greasy
grimey gopher guts" I imagine my cat saying; "That sounds REALLY,

Oven cleaner works for me sometimes

Bartenders Friend. It's oxalic acid and a very fine abrasive with some detergent thrown in.
It doesn't seem to dull glazing and the chemicals get some of the crap off.
Oven cleaner might work too.

Hi,

Gas right?

Some have mentioned that oven cleaner works.

These may help.... http://www.applianceaid.com/grate.html http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R 3&NI6592 Gas grate cleaner.

Nope!
Daniel Prince writes:

Think of dried or burnt-on food oils and fats as essentially oil-base paint.
Lye, lye-based oven cleaner, ethanolamine oven cleaner, methylene chloride paint remover, ...