Cleaning goopy door

My cabin door, apparently, was sprayed/brushed with the same Behr oily redwood stain that was put on the rough wood on the outside of the cabin. This stuff works great on the rough wood, but apparently there was a coat of some sort of clear finish on the door.
The door feels sticky to the touch, and after a year, feels exactly the same. I figure I'll just have to pull the door and clean it with some type of solvent. What would you suggest? All I want to do is take off the oily outer coat, and not bother the clearcoat.
I am supposing that I would have to do it in small areas, and not get anything really wet. I am also supposing that I would have to use some type of solvent that will evaporate quickly to leave a dry finish. I also ass-u-me that I should do VERY small test areas no matter what I try.
Suggestions?
Steve

First thing I'd try is 91% isopropyl alcohol. It's cheap. If it doesn't work, you're out a buck, and you can use it to clean LCD computer screens. (It's what they use at the factories).
As you said, test in an inconspicuous spot first.
Steve B wrote:

I would try mineral spirits.

If it is oil based, I'd try mineral spirits first.
Steve B wrote:

Mineral spirits would be the least damaging to try. Works nicely in taking off gummy dirt and old wax from furniture (paste wax has m.s. in it). Next I would try denatured alcohol, which could soften the original finish if not already softened by the stain. It seems doubtful your clear coat will be pristine, and stripping the door might be the best cure in the long run.