Cleaning Cat5/RJ45 Connectors?

I've got a few IP cameras down at the New Jersey shore where they are subject to the typical marine environment.

Even the indoor connections are eventually affected.

Been using some stuff from Radio Shack (two cans: "DeOxit DN5" to clean and "DeOxit GN5" to condition/protect after cleaning).

I use it on the RJ45 plugs and the RJ45 receptacles - which are sometimes visibly blackened by the time a problem surfaces.

It works, but the cans are very small (14g net) and the stuff's not cheap.

Anybody got an alternative that comes in larger containers?

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Boaters around here like Corrosion Block for connectors around salt water.

Reply to
gfretwell

Synco Super-Lube after using the de-oxit DN5. Buy a tub for about $12

Reply to
clare

From the Synco Site

"Can Super Lube® be used as a dielectric grease? Yes, Super Lube® has good electrical insulating properties and will protect electrical and electronic equipment. Synco also offers a Silicone Dielectric Grease version of Super Lube®."

I guess I don't understand "Dielectric Grease". If it has "good electrical insulating properties", wouldn't it have the opposite of the desired (good conductivity) effect if applied to the mating electrical-connector surfaces? Seems like I'd want something with good electrical conductivity properties instead...

I know that's way off-base, but can somebody explain why.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

The connectors make good electrical contact all by themselves until the corrosion starts. You want something that keeps the moist air out with having any effect on the circuit. If the grease was conductive, it would let current flow between adjacent contacts and cause problems.

Reply to
Pat

For once, WD40 is perfect for this type of application. The WD stands for water displacement and WD40 is good for removing water from contacts. I used some WD40 when my phone wire union got wet and I lost POTS connectivity. A couple blasts of WD40 on the rain soaded connectors/contacts and I was in business, again. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

I had a look at the web

They do have several products. Which did you suggest, and perhaps send us a more specific URL, please.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

When you dose up threads, the metal to metal conducts just fine. The grease fills the air spaces, and helps keep water out.

However, if there is some grease trail between connector A and connector B, you'd not want power to leak from one to the other.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You're the second person to mention salt water on this group lately.

Years ago I visited a non-close friend who lived near the Mediterranean, and he took me sailing on his boat. Very nice of him, and I thanked him a lot.

I wrapped my new digital camera in a plastic bag and wouldnt' take it out of the bag, until we got in the car and went inland, I couldnt' tell how far. Later I realized he was annoyed that I hadn't taken pictures on the boat, with him iirc wearing his captain's hat.

I told him I was afraid of the salt sea air, but he denied it did damage, or much damage, I forget. It's so good to know the two of you think or even know that it does.

I used to have a seawater aquarium, and I'd find lots of salt on the outside of the walls, all the way down to the table, and on the table. I should have mentioned that to him. He died a few years ago.

I use one of those, probably the first.

Have you tried mouser.com or dot something.

Reply to
micky

He could try, but he'd proably fail.

You missed the point. It doesn't matter -- he forged Oren's name.

Reply to
micky

Per Stormin Mormon:

Thanks. Took awhile to soak: where metal touches metal, the grease is out of the picture. OTOH, the rest of the time I want no conductivity.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

In a thick film it is a good insulator. It has very little film strength though, so when the fine wires of the RJ45 jack wipe the pins on the RJ45 plug, they make physical contact - with oxygen and moisture locked out. Using anything conductive would load or short the line (conduct between wires). The stuff works good for light sockets, spark plug boots,electrical connectors - anything you want to protect from the elements. And it doesn't wash off. It doesn't attack rubber. It doesn't damage paint, and it doesn't dry out and turn to stone.

It's also a VERY good lubricant for anthing you need to lube and doesn't stain - and it's food grade - non poisonous and all that.

Reply to
clare

The only problem is it dries up and doesnt protect the connections from getting wet again, and doesn't keep salt out, and basically doesn't do much of anything other than chase water away. It might help get rid of some corrosion as a cleaner - - -

Reply to
clare

The pot I've been dipping into for the last 10 or more years is their #4160 400 gram multipurpose grease with PTFE.

Their 91016 dialectric grease may be better as a dialectric, but not nearly as good as a lubricant.

I used to also have a can of their 31110, which is the multi in a spray. For that use I'm now using Fluid Film.

Their syncopen product is supposed to be pretty good too, but I've never tried it. It is used as penetrating oil in food production lines.

Reply to
clare

You can use the dn5 in the full strength container, and mix it with alcohol as a drip on fluid.

deoxit is a 5% mixture of the red stuff.

Actually, WD -40 works better as a cleaner.

I'm not sure If silicon grease is the best for water control. I think some car recepticals come with it, or marine connections.

CRC 2-26 is pretty good as a do all. You can find it in the big can.

LPS-3 might work as a sealer.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Says good for outdoor electrical connections.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Well put. I don't think I ever got it before.

Reply to
micky

Some times, the light bulb goes on....

I've had bad experiences with Ox-Gard or No-Al-Ox, the grey stuff meant for coating aluminum wires in panel boxes. Seems to be a bit agressive, and has eaten away terminals.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Maybe it was just hungry. You're supposed to feed it once before you use it.

Reply to
micky

Where do I get petfood for a no alligator ox?

Is this some kind of yoke? I tell yokes all the team.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon