Cleaning a Carrier furnace

Hi!

I have a Performance 80 furnace from Carrier. I would like to clean it out before the start of the winter. I was hoping somebody could post some tips on how to vacuum it and where I should clean. I tried looking around, and I couldn't find anything like how to clean a carrier. When you call a tech in to checkup and clean the furnace, what is it that they do?

Thanks!

Reply to
wiz561

They spend more time writing the bill...than doing anything physically to the furnace. Mostly safety checks (if they do their job correctly).

bob_v

Reply to
Bob Villa

Thanks for the info. I suppose I'll just vacuum it out and just not bother with the checkup. :)

Reply to
Mike W.

Check the squirrel cage motor for proper lube.

bob_v

Reply to
Bob Villa

Squirrel lube, from the farm and garden supply?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Doing a good furnace clean and check is far more complicated than you can learn on the internet. Seriously, you need to do some with a trainer at your side, and learn from an experienced tech.

I've worked with experienced techs, and there is a heck of a lot to check, clean, adjust and so on. It's not something you can read on a web page and then (safely) do your own.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yeah, I took the big cover and a smaller cover that covers the blower off and took a look inside. I had the instructions next to me and when they started talking about removing the control panel and sliding the blower out, that's when I called it quits. I vacuumed around and changed the filter, but that's about it.

Maybe with older furnaces, you can do a lot of maintenance on your own. However, with the newer ones, it probably is best to call in a tech.

Reply to
Mike W.