City bans fake grass

I don't do anything with my lawn, what grows, grows. When it is mowed it still looks like a lawn. The popular grass here for the people who really want that golf course look is Floritam and it is a maintenance nightmare, requiring a couple of inches of water a week and lots of chemicals. I see that when I do the monthly water samples for the DEP. Not only are they pumping our aquifer down to dangerous levels, we are also polluting the river with nitrates and phosphorus, causing algae blooms and dead zones.

Reply to
gfretwell

Yup, until your next door neighbor puts turf in, and knocks $10,000 off the value of all the homes in the neighborhood... Then Mr "less government" will be first in line at the next town board meeting with a proposition to have turf banned.

Reply to
mkirsch1

In some neighborhoods putting turf in could raise the value by $10,000...nearly doubling the price of the house.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Moved to my current home about 5 years ago and had grass to mow for the first time in over 20 years. My prior home didn't have grass because it wouldn't grow in 100% shade and our property was totally covered in shade most of the time. I used a combination of natural areas with ferns and selected plants along with a landscaped garden area that included lots of bolders, rock, and walkways. Used very little water except in the hotest and driest part of summer and then didn't need nearly as much as for grass. What made it great was that once established the only maintenance was done with a leaf blower about once a month and took about 15 minutes. Little extra in spring for new plants and some in late fall to clean out the leaves and move some of the tropical plants to the greenhouse. It was done in such a way that a little tree trash or leaves looked like it belonged. I wish I could get away with that now but live in a neighborhood of all lawns and nobody seems interested in changing. In our prior home a lot of the neighbors had done something similar or followed our lead.

Reply to
BobR

Yup, until your next door neighbor puts turf in, and knocks $10,000 off the value of all the homes in the neighborhood... Then Mr "less government" will be first in line at the next town board meeting with a proposition to have turf banned.

Do you have any facts that doing so will bring down values?

didn't think so

Reply to
ChairMan

The perceived value of a home is the value of the home. It's not etched in stone, and local mores have a lot to do with it. In some areas vinyl siding is considered a benefit and will increase the value of the house, and in other areas it will decrease it.

RicodJour

You don't have to mow it. How's that? I know that some athletic fields here use it and the people who use them, unlike you are not bitching. And I know that some professional athletic teams play on it. I think they likely know a lot more about it than you do. Also, see the posts from others here with first hand experience in athletuc fileds and home lawns.

I reserve "typical lib" for cases when the behavior is typical of libs. This is a CLASSIC example. You want to outlaw a person using artificial turf on their OWN private home lawn because YOU don't happen to like it. Hence it's obvious you have the classic liberal need to expand the reach of government and force people to behave the way YOU happen to think they should. Even in areas that have no effect or bearing on you. Exactly how does it affect you if I choose to use artificial turn on my lawn?

Like all liberals, you think you're smarter than the rest of us who are just too stupid to live our lives as we want. That comes across in the scorn you heap on someone who dares to use artificial turf. You think you know what is best for all of us and that you should force your ways on us by taking away one more freedom. In this case, it's the freedom for a person to put artificial turf on their lawn if they so choose.

That is indeed typical liberal behavior.

Reply to
trader4

It's for the children. Or the homeless. Or the Wymen.

Reply to
HeyBub

Whadday mean "no noticeable difference in the amount of thought..." How can one quantify a negative?

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

The advantages are No water is necessary to make it grow No chemicals are needed (herbicides and pesticides) No fertilizer is needed No mowing with all of the air pollution associated with that (lawn mowers generally put out 20 times the pollution your car)

The disadvantage is purely a perception of the asthetics. Everything else is bullshit.. Maybe it is hot on your feet, stay out of his yard. All of the chemical arguments pale in comparison to what people spray on a lawn.

Reply to
gfretwell

Uh, there are just as many negative numbers as there are positive ones.

Reply to
HeyBub

Excuse my wording, apparently I didn't make myself too clear. When I said perceived decrease I should have said feared decrease that doesn't usually materialize.

Reply to
BobR