Circuit breaker box hisses

Page 4 of 4
On 10/18/2015 08:13 AM, Texas Kingsnake wrote:

<snip>
Have your electrician friend remove all aluminum wire and replace with copper...also have him replaced the burned breaker.
Hopefully the connections in the box itself are OK
On Sunday, October 18, 2015 at 9:13:33 AM UTC-4, Texas Kingsnake wrote:

All the new construction I've seen here has used aluminum for service entrance for decades. It meets code, it's safe and it costa a lot less than copper.
On 10/18/2015 09:33 AM, trader_4 wrote: X

You are right, the feed wires are aluminum
I should have specified that the house wires should preferably be copper.
On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 07:33:29 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

One or two more thing to be attentive of:
Most box and breaker terminals that are aluminum or are suitable for use with aluminum conductors are tin plated. This tin plating is easily burned or scraped away. Without the plating, corrosion protectant becomes vital to keep the connection secure. Please be aware that the torque spec on the lugs has a double purpose as aluminum wire , if too tight, will cold flow. Loose connections will continue to heat and further loosen so the final torque should be close to guard against both unequal expansion and cold flow.
--
Mr.E

What is cold flow. I can imagine that if you tighten too much, you pancake the aluminum? And you can just keep tightening and tightening?

Don't ever get caught by the OSHA guys working in an electrical box with a "common" screwdriver. You can end up with some unpaid holidays, and possibly a hrfty fine to go with it.
A couple layers of heat-shring tubing properly applied makes a good "electrician's" screwdriver out od a "common" one
There's a Cat in your breaker box. Let him out and he will stop hissing!
On 10/20/2015 4:30 AM, snipped-for-privacy@qmail.com wrote:

Sure that's a cat?
http://ihihomeinspections.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/sneakysnake2.jpg
A friend of mine, one electrical socket was not working. I took the panel cover off, and went to try the window air conditioner. She was standing in the cellar watching the box. I came down stairs and she said it had been sparking "up here", pointing towards the upper right. The neutral wire had loosened up. I went up and down the row and tightened them all, and things worked fine.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Or a possum?