Chipmunks vs.new tree

It's me again. Your advice on fertilizing my newly transplanted tree was invaluable ... the tree is doing very well. (At least, it hasn't died yet.) I have a problem with it, though, and need more advice.
A chipmunk has moved into the soil surrounding the tree. I found a large amount of the dirt piled up around a hole inches from the tree, and knew right away what it was. (I have the little critters all around my property.) I filled in the hole, and scattered moth balls around the perimeter of the transplant; he dug another hole. I put a couple of the mothballs down into the new hole, and filled it in ... he dug another hole and tossed the mothballs out!! Maybe all the holes are beneficial to the new little tree, (think aeration?) I just don't know if he's going to harm the roots or not.
I read about a repellent called "Ropel", but it isn't available in New York State. It's supposed to be the best anti-chipmunk stuff there is. I really don't want to lose this new little tree; am I in trouble? -- pj
3 words; Jack Russell Terrier

I could be wrong, but I don't think a chipmunk's going to hurt the tree. However, if you want to be extra cautious, get a roll of what's known as hardware cloth (a dumb name, since it is metal, not cloth, but that's how it's labeled in stores). Here's what it looks like: http://www.twpinc.com/galvanized.html
Home & garden centers and hardware stores carry the stuff. Lay it on the ground around the tree and cover with mulch. You'll need a pair of metal shears to cut it, and a pair of leather garden gloves. The edges are sharp.
Forget the chemicals. Enough is enough already.
chipmunk holes are good for tree providing aeration of ground.
he wouldnt eat or disturb tree, just ignore the little buggers
I heard they're good fried. <G>

Jeez...you'd need like 100 of them.

No problem. My lawn, Central New Jersey.
Eat enough and you could make yourself a pretty cool coat.
Hmm, maybe I need some mousetraps...

on surfaces and plants...I doubt it causes chipmonks to move onm, but just not chew on prized items in the yard.
--
Lar
---- to email get rid of the BUGS!

Dia \'s Muire duit