Chimney Modification

Hi! I am interested in purchasing a stove on EBAY. The stove I wish to purchase requires an 8" stovepipe, but the hole in my chimney face in the room is only 6" diameter.
My question is, is it conceivable for me to increase the diameter of this hole to accomodate an 8" stovepipe? If so, what is the process and what are the best tools for the job. Or, should I play it safe and try to find a stove that utlizes a 6" stovepipe instead?
Thanks for the advice/recommendations.
Keith
i'm no expert but maybe you can use a 8"-6" reducer...
as for can you make the hole bigger, i suspect if you dont know the answer already, its no. you got a hole, you need to make it bigger. what more do you need to know?
randy

I agree that you are no expert. There is a reason the stove was designed with an 8" exhaust. Restricting it will not allow the stove to function properly as you will not get the proper draft.
Yes, you can physically mate the two together, but just because you can, does not mean you should.
My point was how hard is it to enlarge the hole. Obviously it is physically possible. As for a reducer, the stove is a vermont casting and the manual sayd the flue size should not be less than 8" diameter so I assume that means a reducer would be considered unsafe?!?

ya i dunno. see other post...
randy
<< As for a reducer, the stove is a vermont casting and the manual sayd the flue size should not be less than 8" diameter >>
Wouldn't it be simple common sense to call Vermont Castings (are they still in business?) and ask them? A lot of chimneys use 6" clay tile flues. If yours is that type then a 8" hole is an exercise in futility. Do your homework, then do your bidding. HTH
Joe

Dangerous advice, it is never OK to reduce flue size.

do
Rudy wrote:

For the sake of safety, ignore xrongor's advice. He likely meant well, but it is not a good idea.
Now would be a good time to have a chimney man come out and check out what you have. Without knowing what is behind those bricks no one will be able to tell you if you can do what you want.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

well like i said im no expert...
just for the sake of curiosity, whats the problem with it? i mean people put dampers in the pipe which restricts the flow. a reducer will restrict the flow, i dont see the obvious problem..? in fact i just got off the phone with my friend and he has a reducer on his stove pipe just as i had remembered. which, again, isnt to say its right...
randy
<snip>

First, a SWAG- that the unit will occasionally be run with open door(s) and needs 8" pipe to exhaust all smoke. Other than running with very leaky doors (like many "franklins" of years past) or with doors open, the pipe size would not affect draft. (Then again, aesthetics may rule.)
Second, consider build-up of deposits in pipe. With greater ration of conduction area to flow area, deposits may accumulate more rapidly, with much greater effect on flow area, as a %. Remember that ratio of initial flow area of 8" to that of 6" is 64:36.
Whatever size is used, it should be inspected and cleaned multiple time per heating season.
HTH, John
I suggest looking for a 6" stove. A 6" pipe has 28 square inches. An 8" pipe has 50 square inches. The problem with trying to make the hole larger is that the flue liner is probably an 8x8. They really measure 6.5" x 6.5" on the inside. Take off a square inch for the rounded corners and you have 38-1/4 square inches. That is not large enough for a 8" stove pipe. By the way, here is the manufacturer information:
CFM Specialty Home Products Division of CFM Corporation 410 Admiral Boulevard Mississauga, ON L5T 2N6
Phone: (905)670-7777 Fax: (905)565-4699 Email: snipped-for-privacy@cfmcorp.com Website: www.vermontcastings.com