cheapest natural gas boiler 60,000 BTU or more

Page 1 of 2
Greetings,
I am replacing an existing boiler in a 700 sq ft house. What is the CHEAPEST natural gas boiler I can buy of at least 60,000 BTU online or otherwise. This seems like a question I should be able to answer with google.com but I had back luck so I am asking the experts. You guys.
Thank you for your time, William

I know where you can get a 2 million btu boiler for about $20k. Just removed it from a building in Phoenix. Very serviceable.
Fits your requirement of at least 60K. Cheap by any standard.
SQLit wrote:

Greetings,
Thank you very much for the offer but I was looking for cheap in terms of absolute dollars, not best value. I have a couple used 300K-600K forced air units sitting around myself. If I ever do need a large boiler in the future (and it is possible) I will keep you in mind.
William
On 24 Feb 2006 14:46:28 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

Just ask someone after work at the supply house if he will get you one cheap and slip him $100.
Bubba wrote:

Greetings,
That easy eh? How about I pay you $200.00 and you can keep $100.00 for yourself?
Let me know, William

Have to take delivery after sunset huh?

A lot of people use water heaters for that purpose. those are cheap. you will have to check the btu/hr heat input rating and select accordingly, for 60,000 btu/hr you probably need a 30 gal high recovery rate water heater... cost probably under 400 dollars.. could be a little more.
Then just hook it up to your hot water circulating pump...dont forget to fit an expansion tank.. the bladder diaphram type will be best for your application, a small one, about 5 gal total capacity... no valves between the expansion tank and the hot water outlet of the heater. you can locate the bladder type anwhere you want...be sure to read the directions.
That should last you about 10 years, maybe 20 years in house heating service conditions.... its a closed loop, so there will not be any scale build up issues.
You might consider a 40,000 btu model for a house that small, then suppliment with a 50 dollar electric heater in your bedroom for cold nights on occasion. that would be about 200 dollars cheaper.
Is it legal? check your local city building inspectors dept. they may require you to fit an approved **low water safety shut off*** , but maybe not... the smaller you go the less is required for ignition and low water protection...an advantage if you go to the 20 gallon heater. Be sure to fit the standard hot water heater pressure relief valve regardless ..thats critical.
The city may want a back flow preventer on the cold water make up line. you may or may want to ask, since its somewhat of a self sterilizing loop if you set the thermostat over 200F... and you will not be treating it with chemicals that is not entirely critical issue (as it is with larger boilers that chemically treated water in loop that you want to keep out of the city mains in event of loss of city water pressure etc). There are bacteria that live in hot water though and you wouldnt want that back flushing into your city water line, so minimally I would install a swing check valve... and discuss it with the city.
If someone sets the thermostat below 120F you can get dangerous bacteria growing in the heater and water distribution lines...and that could happen later, after you are gone etc.
Buy it for the correct fuel, natural gas or propane. they have different jet sizes.
Phil Scott

Phil Scott wrote:

Greetings,
The boiler rating is 60K for such a small house because the house is a row home built in the 1800's and is not (well) insulated. The houses on either side have been torn down so there is a lot of surface area to volume.
I wish I could use a water heater to heat the home but I am almost certain the town will not allow it because I have never seen such a setup. However, it doesn't hurt to ask and I will on monday if I don't have a new boiler in by then.
Thanks for your very informative reply, William

Park a couple of doublewides on each side and rent em out. Income + insulation.

Im sure thats about right...however the max design condition is only approached 2% of its run time... that means that 98% of the time a correctly sized boiler is over sized... and 2% of the time its right sized, and maybe 1% of the time its a little undersized.
by going to 40,000 btu it will be undersized maybe 4% of the time... thats livable if you have an electric heater in the bedroom for those days. If low cost is a concern thats an issue..also with the city code requirements for low water protection etc.
when talking to the city on this issue be sure you dont become aflicted with an idiot... be prepaired to question any replys and ask for a reference to the Uniform Mechanical Code if they decline the use of a hot water heater for your purpose.
Phil Scott

good idea bundy... if the double wides aren't tall enough something could be done with a hay storage and hog operation.

Old bathtubs and sinks along walk painted with aluminum trailer roof paint in place of low voltage lighting.
<I can say this shit because I once lived in a double wide south of the Mason-Dixon.>

Sounds like a mansion to me!!!!
(and I live WELL below that Manson/Nixon line.....)
wrote in message

thats smart. you get the reflectivity from the aluminum.. you could save a lot on lighting that way. it also provides a place for the dogs to stay in bad weather.

With good jobs going offshore the income tax base is heading south... the states are trying to make it up with property tax. the plan I think was to get everyone into 'their own home'... with the kiddies etc... then run property taxes out the roof.
In New Hampshire they have the 'view factor' that they use as a multiplier depending on your view. One guy was paying 500 dollars a year on his house, that went to 3500 dollars with a 'view factor' of 7.
Phil Scott

That is getting to be a popular way of gouging the taxpayers. They have been doing that in CT now also. One wealthy individual just sold the waterfront home that has been in the family for 150 years because of the tax increases. I'm not sure of all the classifications, but there is beach view, water view, beachfront, lakefront, etc.
wrote in message

Grew up in CT. Not the CT of today though. The waterfront I played around consisted of oil tanker docks and barges at junk yards. They tore down the many many 1m gal tanks, filled the containment holes with kitty litter or something and built "waterfront" condos. It was worth more than the fuel oil businesses. The "water" at the waterfront glows various colors at night and a blue slick on top of black water by daytime. But it's waterfront.

Got bit by that one big time a few years back!

So that's what I did!

Lived in VT before bailing south. They came up with Act 60. Towns with more bucks would be taxed extra and the $ would go to schools in other towns. Actually called them "gold towns". If you are/were in NH, you (and every other skier in the US) know Stowe. They got nailed big time by Act 60. There were many towns that got the shaft.
Al Bundy wrote:

we already knew this Bundy In fact, I've got you portfolio right here we've been watching you
This is the CIA...
you can quit with the foil hat already we know all about you Bundy
keep it Bundy we're watching you
Al Bundy wrote:

we already knew this Bundy In fact, I've got you portfolio right here we've been watching you
This is the CIA...
you can quit with the foil hat already we know all about you Bundy
keep it clean Bundy we're watching you