Cheap Bagged Topsoil/Fill??

Page 2 of 3

...and they don't want them returned caked with mud.

That's what we're talking.

Its a poor truck that you can not put some dirt in the bed and wash it out with a hose when it is empty.
I never did understand why someone would buy a truck and be afraid to put something in the bed. I have a small Toyota that has a bed made out of something like fiberglass. The outside of the truck looks fine, but I haul what ever I want to with it. Other trucks can have a liner sprayed in that is tough and can be redone if needed.
On 4/12/2013 6:49 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Because judging by how many are on the road most smaller size trucks are bought and used as cars. This includes the various fluffed up SUV permutations. As an example the people who live behind us have a giant dual wheel 700 HP 290,000lb towing capacity truck and it has never transported more than a large beverage and a bag of groceries.

...and why not?

Jealous?
On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 18:49:47 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"

Good grief. It's got nothing to do with the truck.

Perhaps you like to drive shit but not everyone is you, fortunately. Rental places don't like to advertise shit, either.

I have a spray-in bedliner, as well. What's your point?

How about a small truck? A local place here will deliver from 1 to 3 yards for 10 bucks.
On Thursday, April 11, 2013 10:13:52 AM UTC-4, MICHELLE H. wrote:

Keep in mind, 54 bags per yard.
You actually WANT the debris and rocks, it will fill better compact less drain better and be less prone to washing away in a rainstorm, before you can establish sod on top.
If you absolutely must use bagged and have talked yourself into believing that no other solution is possible, then use the cheapest heaviest stuff you can get.

Most home centers rent trucks by the hour. Home Depot is $19 for the first 75 minutes near me.
MICHELLE H.;3044936 Wrote: > Just to get an accurate measurement, I went out there today with a tape

> feet

That's between 1 and 1 1/2 cubic yards of top soil. Probably the cheapest way to fill that rut is if you know someone with a half ton truck that would be willing to have it loaded into his truck and take it to your property where you could simply shovel it off the back of the truck into the rut.
--
nestork

MICHELLE H. wrote:

With your new figures you have (40x3)/3 which equals 40 cubic feet. That's about 1 1/2 cubic yards.
If the bags are 2 cubic feet, you would need 20 bags. Bulk is cheaper. Last I bought 2-3 years ago was about $10 per yard and $30 for delivery.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

On 4/11/2013 3:54 PM, nestork wrote:

But it doesn't matter because the net charge will be much less than buying much more expensive bagged soil.
There are at least 3 places around here that will load a small dump truck with soil/mulch/stone etc and drop it where you tell them for a very reasonable charge. I am sure there is nothing unique about that.
On Apr 10, 8:32 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (MICHELLE H.) wrote:

Are you incapable of doing simple math?

Many females have problems with volume. Area too :)
And pi is something they bake once in a long while :(
--

dadiOH
____________________________

That is because women have been told something as long as my thumb is a solid 6" long.
Thanks for all the great answers. Yeah, this looks to be a BIG job. ... ...
I'm just wondering, why did he make the flower bed so deep!? It's not just 30 feet long, and 1-2 feet wide, but deep as well, about 1-2 feet!! I assume he must have dug out all the soil, and probably used it for his garden in the backyard??
Sound more like there must have been something larger there that was removed/transplanted or somesuch. There's no reason a flower bed would be below grade--it would end up drowning the flowers w/ decent probability.
Are you sure this isn't/wasn't a drainage-related feature? Where is the water going to go that is being collected by the depression now--be sure you don't all of a sudden have water running into the garage or something after you fill this up.
As a practical matter assuming the above is resolved, if the measurements are close to accurate this is between 2 and 3 cubic _yards_ of material required to fill it. That's going to be 30-40+ of those 2 cu-ft bags if you go the retail route which is ridiculously expensive.
Your only practical solution is have some topsoil delivered. if the logistics of a large truck are indeed too cumbersome to deal with, find a neighbor/friend w/ a pickup and go get a couple loads a weekend until done...
-snip-

That's what I was wondering. i wouldn't fill it until I saw what happens during a downpour. And I'd ask the neighbors if they know.
[Maybe he just took all the plants with him wherever he went.]
Jim
replying to MICHELLE H. , passerby wrote:

Well, that and I also strongly suspect HD-bought topsoil (4 or 5 bags) to be responsible for a terrible outbreak of fungal disease (black leaves) that had started around the time I bought the topsoil and by now (two years later) has spread on *everything* in the backyard.

In many communities the topsoil companies will deliver a load with a dump truck, some will deliver the topsoil in one cubic metre or one cubic yard cloth bags. It takes a truck mounted crane to unload the bag cubes but they can be placed in locations that a dump truck can't access and the big bag keeps it contained so that it doesn't spread out all over the place, plus it makes it easier to prevent neighbors from helping themselves to the soil for their own uses.