Cheap Bagged Topsoil/Fill??

Are you incapable of doing simple math?

Reply to
trader4

Yeah, if I buy it in bulk from a landscaper, I can see the stuff first before buying it, right? Because buying in bags from the store, you really don't know what you are getting, or whats in there? The $1.49 stuff at Home Depot is usually all wet, heavy, and smelly, loaded with debris and rocks. The "Scotts: Premium" is mostly all peat moss and mulch, and the organic topsoil at the garden center is usually light and fluffy even though it's in a "40 pound" bag.

Plus, I can probably only get 5 bags at a time in the car, so yes, that is ALOT of trips to the store in the family car!!! I will have to call around some landscapers and get some prices of having a truck load of soil delivered.

Thanks!

Reply to
MICHELLE H.

You don't want a truck load. A truck load is usually somewhere between 14-19 cubic yards. You only need 1 1/2 or so.

Somone's suggestion of enlisting a friend who has a pickup truck is a good one. They can also be rented if the landscapers have a minimum order much more than you need.

Reply to
dadiOH

Many females have problems with volume. Area too :)

And pi is something they bake once in a long while :(

Reply to
dadiOH

Yeah, I want to get this long rut filled in so that I can plant a few Arborvitaes there. My neighbors planted one in their yard last year. It is a new variety called "Goldy Arborvitae". It is a slow growing arborvitae that is green in the Spring and Summer, but turns a nice Orange/Gold color in Winter. It grows about 1 foot per year, and gets about 15 feet tall when full grown. I know that everyone raves about "Emerald Green Arborvitaes" and "Green Giants", but everybody has "Emeralds", and "Green Giants" get like 50 feet tall, and I don't want something that big. I like the "Golden Arborvitae" because of the way they change color in the Winter.

Reply to
MICHELLE H.

I'm sure she's capable of working out the volume of soil needed, Trader4.

It's just that she's not sure how to go about doing this in any way except buying bags of top soil at her local home center, which would be the most expensive way of doing it.

Michelle: If you know someone with a half ton truck (or a trailer that could be towed behind a car), your cheapest solution would be to use that truck or trailer to get the top soil home. At 1 to 1.5 cubic yards, the delivery charge is going to end up being more than the top soil you're buying.

Reply to
nestork

But it doesn't matter because the net charge will be much less than buying much more expensive bagged soil.

There are at least 3 places around here that will load a small dump truck with soil/mulch/stone etc and drop it where you tell them for a very reasonable charge. I am sure there is nothing unique about that.

Reply to
George

Keep in mind, 54 bags per yard.

You actually WANT the debris and rocks, it will fill better compact less drain better and be less prone to washing away in a rainstorm, before you can establish sod on top.

If you absolutely must use bagged and have talked yourself into believing that no other solution is possible, then use the cheapest heaviest stuff you can get.

Reply to
dennisgauge

Most home centers rent trucks by the hour. Home Depot is $19 for the first

75 minutes near me.
Reply to
DerbyDad03

A single-axle dump will be 5-7 yds; it takes a long-bed tandem to get even close to 12-14. 19 is large, indeed.

One of the small single axle dumps a retail landscaping outfit would be likely to have is probably only about 3-4 or so but they're probably GVWR to 3 or under for a 3500-series, say, which is what I see quite a few of w/ the landscape folks.

It was I who (at least one if others did as well) who suggested the 'find a buddy' route and take a shovel... :)

Reply to
dpb

That certainly depends on the size of the truck. I've had deliveries as small as one yards delivered on a 3 yard dump body pickup. I've also had a full load on a 10yd "10 wheeler". Sure, I imagine an "18-wheeler" dump trailer is 20yd, or more.

Often they will deliver as little as a yard, for a premium of course. Beware, a yard doesn't look like a lot of dirt. It isn't a lot but it's around 60-70 40# bags. ;-)

Beware, a yard of topsoil weighs more than a ton. Your friend may not appreciate a broken spring (nor a rental place). They probably won't like it full of dirt, either. Add a good car wash into your day. ;-)

Reply to
krw

On 4/11/2013 6:14 PM, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote: ...

I was suggesting a few day trips w/ a shovel, not a frontloader bucketful.

It's a truck; dirt should be its lot...if not, it's time. :)

Reply to
dpb

How about a small truck? A local place here will deliver from 1 to 3 yards for 10 bucks.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That is because women have been told something as long as my thumb is a solid 6" long.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I didn't see that suggestion, anywhere.

Nonsense, and you've obviously never rented a truck.

Reply to
krw

Guess you didn't look/read/comprehend...

Nonsense...that's what rental trucks are for..._real_ trucks, anyway.

We're not talkin' U-haul moving box van, here, we're talking a _dump_ bed or a pickup...

Reply to
dpb

Why would you need 1-2 FEET (deep) of top soil? Six inches should be sufficient for almost anything.

That is, plants with roots longer than a foot or so are perfectly capable of dealing with crappy soil (clay, silt, etc.). "Topsoil" is for grass and flowers. Maybe carrots.

Reply to
HeyBub

...and they don't want them returned caked with mud.

That's what we're talking.

Reply to
krw

Its a poor truck that you can not put some dirt in the bed and wash it out with a hose when it is empty.

I never did understand why someone would buy a truck and be afraid to put something in the bed. I have a small Toyota that has a bed made out of something like fiberglass. The outside of the truck looks fine, but I haul what ever I want to with it. Other trucks can have a liner sprayed in that is tough and can be redone if needed.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Because judging by how many are on the road most smaller size trucks are bought and used as cars. This includes the various fluffed up SUV permutations. As an example the people who live behind us have a giant dual wheel 700 HP 290,000lb towing capacity truck and it has never transported more than a large beverage and a bag of groceries.

Reply to
George