Charging a Battery Booster Pack

Page 2 of 2
On 1/23/2012 12:46 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Damn straight. Especially with the skyrocketing cost of batteries these days, I wait until they are shot. Since sometimes one of my vehicles sits a week or so until I use it, it's pretty easy to know when the battery is near death. And when a battery is living it's normal life cycle (not letting it sit dead), it's internal resistance usually starts going up, creating less of a load on the alternator, not more, so there is no extra strain put on the alternator. I usually get about 7 years out of a decent battery.
Add pictures here
✖

..
In addition, I recently took advantage of the "free battery installtion" offered by an auto store chain near me.
Their prices were within a dollar or two of the other stores, so why should I get dirty? I did grab a wrench when I got home just to make sure everything was tight.
They also offered to install my windshield wiper blades, but I let them off the hook on that one. ;-)
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 10:29:20 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

My last couple of batteries lasted eight years.
Add pictures here
✖

Doesnt help if some id10t leaves the lights on. Or the brake pedal sticks, leaving the brake lights on - or - - - -
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 23, 12:45 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

How often do brake pedals stick, leaving the lights on and killing the battery?
I gotta admit, that's a new one to me.
The killer in my experience was always the kids who would turn a reading lamp on in the back of the van on the long trips to Grandma's house. We'd all jump out of the van, happy to be there, only to find the battery stone cold dead the next morning.
Add pictures here
✖
On 1/23/2012 2:29 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote: ...

I've not seen it since the days of the old mechanical arm switches of the 50s/60s and earlier (still have a '58 Chevy C60 grain truck that uses one and it has been known to do so).
✖

I had a '66 Rambler that used a pressure switch on top of the master cylinder to turn the brake lights on.
When the pressure switch went bad I mounted a bracket under the dash and "upgraded" to a switch that made contact with the brake pedal arm.
Add pictures here
✖

We see this about 1 or 2 times a year with a fleet of 3000 vehicles. The offending vehicles are almost invariably one particular model that is 18 to 25 years old and use the same brake pedal linkage as a mid 80s - early 90s Chevy S10. It is not actually a sticking brake pedal; the plastic push-button style switch backs out of it's hole enough to stay on. Simply pushing it back in and tightening takes care of the problem. More commonly the switch needs replacement because it fails to turn the lights ON.

✖
On 1/23/2012 6:27 PM, Larry W wrote: ...

Doesn't surprise there are other specific designs that have occasional problems. I suspect there are others as well if one had the necessary data; I just pointed to the one that I've experienced.
Add pictures here
✖
Yes, that would be me. Sorry, Dad.
The killer in my experience was always the kids who would turn a reading lamp on in the back of the van on the long trips to Grandma's house. We'd all jump out of the van, happy to be there, only to find the battery stone cold dead the next morning.
Add pictures here
✖

Maybe more often than you think, I had it happen to me on my old Impala. I found out about it one night at a drive-in movie when a guy came up to ask me to take my foot off the brake pedal. My foot was no where near the pedal.
Jimmie
Add pictures here
✖

OK, there's once.
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 06:58:51 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

As a mechanic I found it happened a LOT.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 24, 12:56 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Do you think it still happens?
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 10:00:56 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

Yes, it still happens. I still see the occaisional vehicle sitting in a driveway or parking lot with the brake light either on or flickering. And my friend's son's Ford F150 had all kinds of things coming on while it sat until he got the windshield re-sealed (removed and replaced). We had a battery disconnect switch on it for a few weeks to keep a charge in the battery until we found the problem. Water was getting into the fuse panel and apparently sending signals to the BCM.
Add pictures here
✖
<stuff snipped>

Trickle charging does help. At least for dome lights and light loads.
Ever since I started watching Formula One racing I've asked myself why my car can't easily report its critical system data to the main house computer. (-:
Knowing the battery voltage, especially on infrequently used cars, has turned out to be quite useful. Are the new cars and smartphones hooked up on things like voltage, gasoline/charge level, etc?
-- Bobby G.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 21, 2:03 pm, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

Usually those things are junk when you find them in the flea markets, auctions and yard sales. If you found parts on it you can use then good for you. When I was a kid my dad owned a service station ad we had something similar, Battery on a hand truck and jumper cables.
Jimmie
Add pictures here
✖