Charcoal smell from electric clothes dryer?

I noticed a new odd behavior from my 10 year old electric Kitchen Aid dryer, the clothes smell like charcoal or lighter fluid. I checked the lint trap and it was empty. Is this a symptom of some common problem? Thanks

Are you sure the exhaust hose isnt full if lint blocking airflow, that could burn out a unit, I wouldnt use it till its checked out.

Does it smell like possibly the belt is burning or rubbing against something?
I just cleaned out the exhaust hose, there was a very small amount of lint in there, not enough to cause a problem.
The smell is really exactly like lighter fluid or charcoal.
Thanks for the ideas.
On 11/22/2010 06:59, Unused Classified wrote:

Have you checked the air intake path across the heating coil? That's the most likely source if the clothes smell bad. The air goes through the fan and filter after it passes through the tumbler.

Could be the belt from the motor to the drum is slipping. That normally smells like burnt rubber, but not everyone knows that odor. Be sure the motor itself is not coated with lint too. This may be a good time to open the dryer cabinet and take a vacuum cleaner to everything inside, check the belt, and clean out the exhaust pipes too. You dont want a fire, and after 10 years they do get a good share of lint buildup inside. Also look for any burnt looking wires and connections.
Unused Classified wrote:

Haven't a clue - but if you use charcoal lighter fluid when you cook out, you're ruining your steaks - consider one of these:

Been doing that for years... but I just take a coffee can and a bottle opener and make my own. No handle, keep a pair of Channellocks handy to remove it. If it starts falling apart, make a new one.
nate
Unused Classified wrote:

Anybody leave a Zippo lighter in a pants pocket?
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Charcoal is pretty much odorless, unless you have used awful charcoal lighter fluid.
Greg
On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 21:44:01 +0000, llruna3

Or the heat.
On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at 5:44:04 PM UTC-4, llruna3 wrote:

It could be lint build-up within the unit. You would be surprised how much lint can be built up on the inside of the internal duct work, on the blower, around the motor, etc.
As this lint heats up, it could become odoriferous.
http://media.merchantcircle.com/19471949/inside%20dryer%20cabinet%202_full.jpeg