Central Heating and air

My AC guy says I need a new unit. He recommended

2.5 ton 13 SEER Full unit: compressor, furnace (gas) and coils? (Sorry, I'm not real literate about this.) It's basically the whole unit. RUUD brand 10 year warranty The cost was about $6000.
I don't know much else at this point.

I'm also interested in Carrier, Rheem and some of the less expensive brands. This Carrier lasted 17 + years so I'm feeling pretty good about that. Thanks for any help you can provide. At least I'm not sitting in a house with no air. Hopefully I will have some time to prepare for this costly adventure! :) Any input would be appreciated. Vc

Reply to
vclem47

Ruud is not the top of the pile in my opinion.

Call lots of contractors and see where the numbers lead.

Reply to
SQLit

Did your AC guy give you a good reason for a complete new system? Is it perhaps that he needs a new boat, as the Klick & Klack brothers would say.

Is he trying to sell you on efficiency, or just good feeling about having a new system?

RichK

Reply to
RichK

I suggest contacting more than one AC guy. Ask neighbors etc for recommendations. That HVAC guy is far more important than the brand of equipment you end up with. The right choice of equipment for your needs and a proper installation can make even the best equipment perform poorly of well. A good tech will not recommend poor equipment.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

FWIW--Rheem and Ruud are exactly the same unit--- just like Chevy and GMC trucks. Both are very good equipment in my opinion. Good luck Larry

Reply to
lp13-30

"Joseph Meehan"

Joe keeps saying that and I agree, but want to "say it in writing". People are WAY to concerned with brand names and not at all with the guy who can ruin the best system.

There are in reality very few motor and compressor makers, so regardless of what the label says, your A/C system may have identical components to another one.

I suspect any installer that is cryptic and does not tell you why exactly you get a WHOLE new system.

RichK

Reply to
RichK

I strongly agree, rely on the install and not the brand. I had a unit put in that was top of the line. However, I had to ask the installer to stop and leave the house before things got ugly. He was always trying to cut corners and get the job done fast. If you have the unit installed, make sure you know more than basics when it comes to install, other wise the installer may try to cut corners on you. The install is the most important part to making sure the unit runs correct. I would also try to go alittle higher than 13 SEER. The law just passed of Jan. 06 that require min. that all units be 13 SEER. If you can swing it, I would look at something alittle higher to stay above min. requirements.

Reply to
cheaphomeowner

Hi

Recently I have received a quote from SEARS and they quoted for $7250 and I have gotten some more quotes from local Carrier dealer's follows

Dealer A $6150 Dealer B $5900 Dealer C $5000

Models

Performance series 15 Seer 2.5 tons AC Furnace Infinity 80 series 90000 btu Infinity thermostat Matching evaporate coil

The above prices are after $800 mail in rebate.

Call all local dealers and get a quote and select the lowest one.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Man

Run as fast as you can away from sears hvac systems. They farm them out to local hvac contractors that are worthless. If you go with a sears install then I suggest you prepare yourself for one problem after the next.

Reply to
Al Moran

WhoooooHooooo! An 80% efficient furnace !!

LOL What a bargain...

Reply to
Speedy Jim