Central Air- Lennox?

Hi, I am planning on putting in central air in my house. Been looking at diff units. Not familiar with Lennox- anyone deal with them before? How are the units?? THANKS!

Reply to
KOS

Decent. York is probably the quietest.

Reply to
Meat Plow

thanks for the prompt reply. I tried looking for reviews on Lennox- my choise is between American Standard and Lennox

Reply to
KOS

John H

Just had a maintenance check up on my central air. When talking to the mechanic he recommended York or Rhreem. Also buy the highest Seer # you can afford, save on electric bills. Nancy

Reply to
N.J. Crane

The SEER Rating of an A/C is only one factor in reducing energy costs, and in some situations the higher SEER won't achieve any savings over a lower SEER unit.

- udarrell

Reply to
udarrell

Why not?

I musta missed that beatitude.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Why?

has a chart with the first two columns below...

Relative Humidity/Maximum Comfortable Temperature

RH Temp Atemp APMV Ftemp FPMV

60% 78.5F .221389 81.352 .2114619 50% 79.0F 78.934 .221450 81.727 .2113076 40% 79.5F 79.379 .221356 82.155 .2214492 30% 80.0F 79.842 .221377 82.549 .2213459

The ASHRAE 55-2004 comfort standard based on surveys of 21,000 people says 78.5 F at 60% RH would have a +0.221 "Predicted Mean Vote" (very slightly warm) on a comfort scale with -3 = cold, 0 = comfortable, and

+3 = hot. The upper ASHRAE summer comfort zone ends with PMV = +0.5. Lowering the RH raises the upper comfort temp slightly, about 0.8 F, according to the calculation below, but raising the air velocity from 0.1 to 0.1 m/s (the F vs A temp numbers above) raises it more, by about 4 F. In an airtight house, we might save energy by sitting under a slow ceiling fan and lowering the humidity and raising the temperature, and zone the house with indoor humidification...

Nick

50 CLO =.5'CLOTHING INSULATION (CLO) 60 MET=1.1'metabolic rate (met) 70 WME=0'external work (met) 80 TA=(78.934-32)/1.8'air temp (C) 90 TR=TA'mean radiant temp (C) 100 VEL=.1'air velocity 120 RH=40'relative humidity (%) 130 PA=0'water vapor pressure 140 DEF FNPS(T)=EXP(16.6536-4030.183/(TA+235))'sat vapor pressure, kPa 150 IF PA=0 THEN PA=RH*10*FNPS(TA)'water vapor pressure, Pa 160 ICL=.155*CLO'clothing resistance (m^2K/W) 170 M=MET*58.15'metabolic rate (W/m^2) 180 W=WME*58.15'external work in (W/m^2) 190 MW=M-W'internal heat production 200 IF ICL
Reply to
nicksanspam

A lot of factors enter into the individual human comfort level equation. Please put all those factors into meaningful communication content that techs and consumers can use for the benefit of everyone. Very interesting Nick, Villanova has to be an enlightening institution. Do you have a website? - udarrell

Reply to
udarrell

HUmidification. Make the house dry and evaporate water to cool occupied rooms.

See above :-)

In some ways, altho I have little to do with them.

Sure.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

I think the biggest consideration is finding a competent, honest contractor who will determine exactly what kind and size unit that you need.

My outside unit is 18 years old (Trane) and still working Ok, but in the summer my electricity bill is really high and my unit seems to run a lot.

I have considered replacing the unit with a higher SEER (currently have a 12 SEER), but each of the AC contractors that I have talked to just come in, look at the old unit, then give me a paper estimate. None have bothered to measure rooms, look at the attic, do load calculations, etc. One of the contractors that I talked to advertises heavily on the radio in my area, Dallas, but all he did was take a quick look around at my old unit, give me a $$ estimate, and ask when I wanted to start the installation. I did not call him back

Reply to
newman

I'm not sure if you "Newman" realize the amount of time a contractor would have to invest to perform a ACCA Manual J load calc..... and give you what? the information from that work for free? Doubt it. What's the alternative? Give the client a "paper estimate" based on what's perceived by asking you "the client" questions, looking over what you have, and "guesstimate" what you need. Then, if you like the contractor's price, sign up with him, and be sure he performs the necessary calculations before he starts the job, and, also performs a ACCA Manual D to design "your system" based on those calculations and your specific needs.

Reply to
Zephyr

Frankly Zyp, that sounds like a fair idea. No one has ever offered this kind of proposition.

And No, I do not know what kind of time and effort is required for calcs.

I would be more likely to do business with a contractor who spent some time doing these calcs and making good recommendations. "Zephyr" wrote in message news:cMydnREFe_0hO8XbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@championbroadband.com... I'm not sure if you "Newman" realize the amount of time a contractor would have to invest to perform a ACCA Manual J load calc..... and give you what? the information from that work for free? Doubt it. What's the alternative? Give the client a "paper estimate" based on what's perceived by asking you "the client" questions, looking over what you have, and "guesstimate" what you need. Then, if you like the contractor's price, sign up with him, and be sure he performs the necessary calculations before he starts the job, and, also performs a ACCA Manual D to design "your system" based on those calculations and your specific needs.

Reply to
newman

Hi, That all sounds good but if a contractor does not have good real life field experience, all the calculation in the world does not mean much. Experience and knowledge(theory) has to go together to do a good job in anything.

Reply to
Tony Hwang