Central AC UV filter

Page 2 of 2

Is there not some type of spray on coil cleaner antimicrobial stuff that can be applied when the units are serviced? Do you recommend any type of UV beast killer?

Dont you like alt hvac. lotts of nice guys there to help you. Ive gotten mild mold and used bleach on my unit, but I rinsed well, as I have heard bleach can affect coils, but I really dont know about that. Im sure there are pro sprays. To me excessive mold indicates something must be changed to not alow it to grow in the first place. Maybe an additional dehumidifier or the drip pan doesnt drain well or something else is wrong. I have heard about a tablet that can be set in the drip pan to kill mold before it grows. A UV light sounds like a good idea to use after you have fixed the issue causing mold, I have read they come in different strengths and what HD sells are not the high output units. A filter like Air Bear might be of use in trapping a large percentage of spores after the main issue is fixed. My house is to tight, I need to run additional dehumidifiers as my AC is also oversized.

Dont you like alt hvac. lotts of nice guys there to help you.
I thought I was clear about seeking help and advice!!
Ive gotten mild mold and used bleach on my unit, but I rinsed well, as I have heard bleach can affect coils, but I really dont know about that. Im sure there are pro sprays. To me excessive mold indicates something must be changed to not alow it to grow in the first place. Maybe an additional dehumidifier or the drip pan doesnt drain well or something else is wrong. I have heard about a tablet that can be set in the drip pan to kill mold before it grows. A UV light sounds like a good idea to use after you have fixed the issue causing mold, I have read they come in different strengths and what HD sells are not the high output units. A filter like Air Bear might be of use in trapping a large percentage of spores after the main issue is fixed. My house is to tight, I need to run additional dehumidifiers as my AC is also oversized.
RBM wrote:

The supply houses have all sorts of UV units on display and there has been a big IAQ "Indoor Air Quality" push going on for a while as another revenue stream for HVAC companies. I don't look at the UV lights as a gimmick or snake oil but like anything, if properly designed and installed, the UV lights should function as advertised. If the equipment is not installed as per manufacturers instructions, I would doubt the effectiveness. A lot of gear is sold and just thrown in without a lot of thought and when it doesn't work right, a lot of folks will be prone to bad mouth the product. I haven't installed any UV lights in any HVAC units yet and I haven't tried to sell anyone on them. I do use a lot of cleaners on both evaporators and condensers to keep refrigeration and HVAC systems running. Dirt is the big enemy of such systems. A friend and me recently cleaned and treated a large evaporator for a drug store where they had an odor problem. Here's an example of some of the products we used for that job:
http://tinyurl.com/pr3ntl
http://tinyurl.com/r69dav
http://tinyurl.com/r5snwd
TDD

Makes perfect sense to me, Thanks

On Sun, 10 May 2009 07:25:51 -0500, The Daring Dufas

indoor air quality products. They work just. They dont perform magic. They wont cure a mold problem or asthma. It is merely another product to help the indoor air in homes. Proper application is key. Some go in the return duct, some in the supply and others are helpful in the inlet of the cooling coil area. Choose your poison. :-) Bubba
http://sanuvox.com/sanuvox_residential_products.htm
http://yourhome.honeywell.com/Consumer/Cultures/en-US/Products/UV+Air+Treatment/
http://www.fieldcontrols.com/uvaire.php
Bubba wrote:

http://yourhome.honeywell.com/Consumer/Cultures/en-US/Products/UV+Air+Treatment/
Hey Bubba, in your experience, what kind of lamp life are you seeing with these UV units? One of the first questions I'll get is "how long will it last?"
TDD
On Wed, 13 May 2009 11:24:08 -0500, The Daring Dufas

1 yr and 3 yrs depending on the brand. The Honeywell is 1 yr. They tried to make a "smart lamp technology" and a light that tells you when to replace but when you have a customer with a variable speed high end unit and electronic cleaners and UV's they tend to run the blower 24/7/365. So it lasts a year and gets replaced. The Sanuvox is 3 yr. It will last beyond that but its effectiveness diminishes. Basically you just have to do the math and figure the cost over the life and recommend the best to your customer. Bubba
Bubba wrote:

Me and my friend who I do a lot of HVAC work with have never installed any UV lights for anyone. Most of our customers are price shopping and I don't know if I could sell them on it. I wonder if there is a light designed for a package unit?
TDD
Bingo

    As you appear to suspect, I doubt if it will be of any value for this use.

    Do you mean a UV light? I don't see how UV would need to be filtered in a AC unit, especially I doubt if there would be any significant amount present normally.
    UV lights can kill some of the stuff we don't want in our air, but it can only kill on surfaces that are illuminated by it or in the air that passes though the light. I don't think it is especially effective against molds..
They don't work in ducts. They work inside the cabinet. The reason they don't work in ducts is because the amount of time UV light takes to kill things in the air is longer than the amount of time the air is rushing by. As for working inside the cabinet, where the air is still, not only would you need lights surrounding whatever surfaces you are aiming at, but if you have things to kill on those surfaces, that means there is something wrong with the system in the first place.