Central AC Components

Forgive my ignorance... But

Can someone describe the different components of a Central AC System.. I know this sounds very basic.. but in a home we are purchasing it has three components.. The compressor is outside and another component is in the attic (Im assuming thats the Coil???).. The home then has this large furnance(???) in the basement thats mounted from the ceiling..

The reason why I ask this, is because the only few people I know that has Central Air only has two components.. The outside compressor and the coil in their attic or closet.. Atleast thats what they are telling me.. If thats true what is this large furnance in the basement? Is this an old set thats no longer used anymore? woud reaplacing this cause a major overhaul of the entire system..

I have a couple of HVAC people coming on Sat to review the system and provide quotes. I would like to be alittle more knowledgeable before Sat.

thanks again..

Reply to
dmlegare

Depending on what the contractor did it is possible that you have two complete and separate systems. One heating and the other cooling. Here in AZ something like that is quite common. We have A/C's and swamp coolers. Some use barometric dampers, the older installations use a metal slide damper to separate the systems. Ask the owner I am sure he will know how it works. If he does not then either plan on replacing everything or finding another home.

Reply to
SQLit

This is Turtle.

i have seen this set up before and it is the blower / furnace in the basement and duct goes to the attic and then they put the evaperator coil to cool the air off and then on to the rooms. You can put the evaoerator coil anywhere in the air duct as you want but can be put in the basement with the furnace if they wanted to.

Now I can't see it from here but it just sounds like this type of set up. have the people coming to look at it explain it to you what it is.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Well thats the thing we have a seperate Gas Boiler as well for the heat/hot water as well..

the homeowner doesnt live there and we havent spoken once. Hes owns many homes and completely unreachable.

Reply to
dmlegare

Compressor. Squeezes the freon. Usually located outdoors.

Condensor. Assembly of tubes and fins which allows hot freon to cool. Always located outdoors. Sometimes called a "condensing coil". Might look a lot like a radiator on a car. Same function.

Condensor fan. Blows air through the condensor.

Condensing unit. The box which contains a compressor, condensor and condensor fan.

Filter drier. Bulge in the copper freon pipe, contains a material which removes water, and solid particles.

Lineset. Two copper tubes which carry freon in a closed loop circuit.

Metering device. Can be one of several different types of device. Allows the correct ammount of freon to enter the evaporator. These can be called an orifice, flow rator, TXV, Expansion Valve, or captube. Depends on the different design used.

Evaporator. An assmbly of tubes and fins, wh ich allows cold freon to absorb heat. Does the same job as a radiator on your car, but in reverse. Gets cold and absorbs heat.

Air handler. Box with fan and ducts, which moves air through the evaporator. You can use a furnace for an air handler, or you can have a separate one.

Extrabulator. The device which your HVAC guy won't tell you how to fix. Sometimes you have to top off the red lantern oil, or thaw it out with a bucket of steam. It mounts to the ceiling of the cellar with skyhooks. Real professionals all know what an extrabulator is. They frequently break, and have to be replaced. They should be inspected for wear once a year.

Hope this is helpful. You now have considerably more information. If you read and absorb, you will have knowledge. If you can use the knowledge, you have wisdom. If you act with wisdom, you will have fewer problems in life.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Matt

I think my extrabulator may be going bad. How much does a new one cost?

Reply to
Chet Hayes

That's a very technical question. I'll repost it in sci.engr.heat-vent-ac.

Hope this helps.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Pine

Thanks all for the responses.. I have 3 HVAC companies lined up for this coming Sat...

Reply to
dmlegare

Extrabulator. The device which your HVAC guy won't tell you how to fix. Sometimes you have to top off the red lantern oil, or thaw it out with a bucket of steam. It mounts to the ceiling of the cellar with skyhooks. Real professionals all know what an extrabulator is. They frequently break, and have to be replaced. They should be inspected for wear once a year.

Hope this is helpful. You now have considerably more information. If you read and absorb, you will have knowledge. If you can use the knowledge, you have wisdom. If you act with wisdom, you will have fewer problems in life.

at the wholesale house, they are incredibly cheap. However, they are a very high markup item. How much you got?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon