cement statue

My son is doing a project for the local animal shelter, and part of it involves attaching a cement statue to a brick mailbox. The mailbox has a sort of planter on one side, and the idea is to put the statue on top of the bricks of the side extension.
His original thought was to simply attach a rectangular flat cement stepping stone (like a topper to a brick column) to the brick using mortar, and then attach the statue to the stepping stone (also using mortar.) But after talking to some local folks, he is rethinking this. Would it be better to use some sort of epoxy and actually *glue* the statue onto the stone? Is he OK to be thinking about mortaring the stepping stone?
Is there a better way to approach this? I have seen cement figures on top of brick gate columns, so I know it *can* be done. Unfortunately, I know nothing about brick laying or concrete work, so I sure can't help him with this!
Thanks!

Unless the base of statue is big enough, and the center of gravity low enough, to keep it from rocking in wind (or when kids come up and grab it), I recommend a vertical hole in base of statue, dropped over a steel pin epoxied into a hole drilled in whatever it is sitting on.
Gravestone companies do stuff like this all the time. I'd give the local one a call. Since it is for a good cause, maybe they will even come do the install at cost, or at least give your son the instructions on how to do it.
aem sends....
wrote: -snip-

I'd use Landscape Cement - if your local borg doesn't have any, try the place that sells landscape block and pavers. [if they look at you funny when you ask for landscape cement, then ask for the tube that you put in a caulk gun and glue the top row of landscape blocks to a wall] It comes in a tube like caulk, is easy to apply, and holds, IMO, better than even a good mix of mortar.
Trying to get the right mix & consistency with mortar the first time out of the gate is asking for a bit much, IMO. You're also likely to make some mess with it- much less likely with the tubed cement.
Good luck on the project- [post a picture someplace- I'm always fascinated by brick mailboxes.]
Jim
Linda writes:

Cemetery monuments like this are pinned and epoxied. An exposed mortar joint won't last.