Cement for shower pan

What variant of Quickrete should I use to pour the base of a shower pan? Thx.
Em wrote:

I would not use Quick anything, it dries to fast. Just use regular concrete and mix it dry. Something with a small stone or sand mix. I don't know who told you to use Quick but you need time to form it and contour it to the drain. And if you never done this before, beware. I'm not going to go into this whole process, it"s to involved. I assume you will be using a vinyl liner? That's a whole story in it's own.
--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"

Save a few bux, use leftover peel and stick tiles bent at the edges.

For what? the liner, don't you think it would leak at the seams. I have no leftover peel and stick tiles, those things are banned from my house.

snipped-for-privacy@nc.rr.com says... :) What variant of Quickrete should I use to pour the base of a shower pan? :) Thx. :) :) :) In case it hasn't been addressed, while the pan is up will be the only time you will have a chance to thoroughly treat soil under the shower for termites.
--
Lar

Oh, if only Noah would of been a bit more wise,
Em wrote:

When mine was done the guy just used portland cement and sand in maybe a 1:6 or more mix - lots of sand, little cement - and mixed it very dry so it was friable and he could shape the slope easily.

You don't really "pour" a mortar shower pan.
Normally you will lay down a layer of plastic, then install a reinforcing mesh over that (I used 1/4" hardware cloth).
Next, you mix ordinary masons sand and cement together in a very dry mix. Just enough water to hold it all together, like you would use to build a sand castle. It has been more than a year since I did this, but I think I used two bags of "Quikrete Sand/Topping Mix" with 1 bag of "All Purpose Sand". I'd double-check that on the John Bridge web site before proceding though.
Then you "pack" the mortar mix onto the floor. Start with the perimeter, getting it level and at the right height. Then get the drain level set properly. Then you can fill in between the drain and perimeter to produce a nice smooth slope (1/4" per foot typically).
Of course, you'll need to determine what type of waterproofer you are going to use before building the mortar bed. A vinyl liner requires one bed under the liner to set the slope, then a second bed on top to set the height and provide support for tile. But, I used Schluter Kerdi waterproofing membrane which goes right on top of the mortar bed, just under the tile.
I recommend you visit the tiling forums at www.johnbridge.com. There are lots of folks there who have done this job before, along with how-to pictures, and other works in progress.
Take care,
Anthony