cement board in a shower installation

I'm going to be gutting and remodeling the bathroom soon (the kitchen is just about done), and I'm having trouble finding info on how high up to take the cement board.

Most of the pictures that I've seen show it coming up about 4 feet on the wall, but it seems to me that you'd be better off taking it at least as high as the shower surround, if not higher....

What do people recommend?

thanks, John

Reply to
fnord

I agree. Except in the shower, it should go from ceiling to pan.

Reply to
JimL

It should go as high up as you plan to tile at a minimum.

What I am not sure of is if it is OK to use as a backer for a painted or wallpapered wall or if you need to switch back to gypsum board for that.

Reply to
AutoTracer

What is the shower surround going to be comprised of..tile, one piece f'glass, gelcoat plastic, man made "marble" panels ?

Reply to
Rudy

It will be either fiberglass or gelcoat.

Hmmmm..... so then it will be fiberglass *with* gelcoat.

Reply to
fnord