cement board in bathtub

The tile wall in my bathtub needs replacement as there are cracks in the grout and drywall that's beneath it. I don't think I have time to do a complete repair on a single weekend so I was hoping I could install concrete backerboard, tape and mortar the joints and corner and finish the job of installing tile for a latter weekend. Do you think okay to use the bath/shower in this condition for 3-4 weeks until the tile can be installed?

Reply to
Norman K

No.

Reply to
PJx

I went for perhaps six months with my long tub wall covered in a sheet of OSB, while in the midst of a remodel. I just bought two cheap shower curtains, and stapled them to the OSB so that they covered the long wall, and overlapped the ends. Obviously not very elegant, but it worked fine for me.

Reply to
Michael.Lacy.junk

No. Hang up plastic sheeting if you need to shower.

Reply to
John Hines

Reply to
chester

Just go outside have the wife spray you down with the hose. You can do the same for her! Do that for a few days and the shower will be completed in to time.

Norman K wrote:

Reply to
Sexytom976

Just go outside and have your wife just hose you down. You can do the same for her. That'll get the shower project done in a few days if not less.

Reply to
Sexytom976

Unless the tiles are broken or you are really tired of the color, you CAN temporarily remove loose tiles and damaged drywall in only the damaged section, replace the damaged section of drying with a more water resistant material and put things back into place.

I have replaced sections of dry wall with a lath/plaster of Paris patch and put the tiles back up. Repairs like this take a few days but only a few hours of actual work. You have to let the plaster set before you can cement the tile back and then you have to wait another day before your can grout.

As others have indicated, if you MUST take a shower, tape some plastic over the repair site until the job is finished.

Reply to
John Gilmer