Ceiling fans (smaller than 52")?

In an old home I have a long, but narrow bedroom over 7' wide, but roof narrows it to 5.5' at ceiling. It originally had what I think was a Hampton Bay Littleton fan, which seemed to work effectively, but was plain white. I installed a Chatham model, nice polished brass with oak colored blades and quiet. But being a hugger with 52" blades, does not seem to circulate very well with such a narrow ceiling, especially when blowing down (air cannot get in above it). It works best blowing up at low or medium speed.
Mostly what I find are big ones, so I am looking for suggestions for a smaller ceiling fan that is effective, but quiet, that can use fluorescent bulb(s).
44" Minka Aire Concept II looks effective, but its remote control with dimmer might require incadescent bulb which I would rather not use due to heat. They also have 42" Mesa 5 blade (would need separate light kit).
I have a 30" 6 blade Westinghouse Petite in another room (antique brass, wood blades), which moves air well, but has a bit of a buzz. Some other models are 42" Corinthian or Casanova Supreme.
I just don't want a noisy one for a bedroom.
--
David Efflandt - All spam ignored http://www.de-srv.com /

Your problem is the wallhugger. As a rule they don't give much air. Also many remote control fans give off a noisy hum so watch out for that even it it comes standard with the remote.

I work at Home Depot and for bedrooms always recommend one brand: Hunter. Absolutely the quietest fan out there. As noted, the closer to the ceiling, the less force the downward air movement will have. Even a short 3-6" down pipe will help immensely. 52" is too big for your room. Go for 44 or 48" max.

plain
colored
On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 04:35:46 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@xnet.com (David Efflandt) wrote:

I installed a Hunter low-profile fan, I think it has 42" blades, four of them. I had to buy a separate light globe for it. I'm sure a fluorescent screw-in bulb would work. The fan has 3 speeds, and very quiet. I had to search for a small fan for a small room, but it really moves the air--in fact too much on the "high" setting.