Ceiling Fans in Small Rooms

Or are you thinking of Hampton Bay?

Reply to
fran

No. I've seen a number of discussions here in which Hunter owners had to replace switches, and found those switches were of a type that a sane person wouldn't consider compatible for anything but a flashlight. If the manufacturer will pull that stunt, it's safe to assume that anything goes.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

| > >Nope. Spend some time reading the archives of this newsgroup and you'll | > >understand why Hunter fans are inferior. | > >

| > Or are you thinking of Hampton Bay? | >

| | No. I've seen a number of discussions here in which Hunter owners had to | replace switches, and found those switches were of a type that a sane person | wouldn't consider compatible for anything but a flashlight. If the | manufacturer will pull that stunt, it's safe to assume that anything goes. | Since you're the second person I've seen bashing Hunter fans lately with no more documentation than "I've seen a number of discussions" I figured I'd try and actually do a little leg work on the subject. Below are 3 sites that give (mostly) favorable reviews to Hunter Fans (yes, I'm aware these sites are also selling these products but also have consumer reviews).

Here is a Google NG search and while I didn't check every post I didn't see many (any?) posts complaining about the quality of Hunter Fans. I have personally used and installed many Hunters over the years and have found them to be quiet, very easy to install, reasonably priced and dependable. I'd be interested in any documentation you have that disputes this.

tgilb

Did any of the reviewers own the fans long enough to have to perform internal service on them? If not, the reviews are not relevant to long term ownership.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

| | > Or are you thinking of Hampton Bay? | | >

Excuse my replying to my own post but after a little research I realize I need to make a correction. The sentence above should read:

Since you're the "only" person I've seen bashing Hunter fans lately with no more documentation than "I've seen a number of discussions"

Reply to
tgilb

Reply to
tgilb

Are the fans you installed 15 years ago made in the same country where they're now made?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Example: A user here commented that the replacement switch (installed in the fan body itself) was the type which required pushing wires into holes. That type of part has no place in an AC powered device, no matter WHAT Underwriters Labs may say, and no matter WHAT electrical codes might permit. The only reason a manufacturer would use them would be to save time on the assembly line. That makes me wonder what other shortcuts they took.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Whew! What fantasy world do *you* live in?

Duhhhhhh!

You keep looking for that ceiling fan containing switches with screw terminals and wire loops wrapped around them. You're going to get awful warm.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

| > Excuse my replying to my own post but after a little research I realize I | > need to make a correction. The sentence above should read: | >

| > Since you're the "only" person I've seen bashing Hunter fans lately with | no | > more documentation than "I've seen a number of discussions" | | Example: A user here commented that the replacement switch (installed in the | fan body itself) was the type which required pushing wires into holes. That | type of part has no place in an AC powered device, no matter WHAT | Underwriters Labs may say, and no matter WHAT electrical codes might permit. | The only reason a manufacturer would use them would be to save time on the | assembly line. That makes me wonder what other shortcuts they took. | You imply you know more about safety and electrical engineering than UL and building codes do. I, on the other hand, readily admit to being far less knowledgeable about these subjects than these agency's and that being the case I feel I cannot contribute anything else to this discussion and bow to your obviously superior wealth of knowledge on the subject.

Reply to
tgilb

1) Are you saying you've never seen an electrical device that was a piece of crap, but still had the UL mark on it? 2) Do you know that building codes allow the use of wire nuts in situations where they're completely inappropriate?
Reply to
Doug Kanter