We have a Hunter ceiling fan in the family room where we also have a
woodstove. The past couple of years, I've noticed the fan makes a "rum
rum rum" sound that seems to be tied to the number of RPMs the fan is
I've looked up inside the motor housing and I notice there seems to be
some dust mixed with either cooking fat or motor oil (I don't know
which) up in there, and I wonder whether the motor should be cleaned
out and/or lubricated?
Does anyone know? And if so, how?
The methods I was considering were:
• blow out with compressed air / vacuum with shop vac
• maybe spray out the motor with that halogenated electrical parts cleaner?
• lube with Corrosion X and/or Super Lube grease with PFTE (both
products are dielectric)
Can anyone knowledgeable advise me on this? Should I even bother (the
motor housing is not hot, so the windings or whatever are not getting
overheated, I don't think)?
Thanks for any ideas.