Ceiling Fan Direction

Does it *really* matter? Either you're pushing air down the center of the room and causing it to rise up the walls, or you're pulling air up the center of the room and causing it to fall down the walls.
Besides, I can't reach the direction switch on the one in my living room. I have a 5' ladder and a 14' ceiling.
:-(
Thanks!
-ph
phaeton wrote:

Yes, it matters. Law of physics. Some fans are remote controlled.
Mine have all been running down year 'round for 25 years. Get a dowel rod with a little loop of wire on the end to change the high ones.

I only run mine in the summer, so I have them set in down direction too. That is the way you definitely want them set in the summer, as it gives a direct breeze. In winter, the theory is that you save energy by moving the heated air at the ceiling down along the side walls. However, I've never seen any real techinical analysis that says it amount to anything significant, or even that it's a positive effect. In fact, I think by moving the air you could just be accelerating the heat loss.

Blowing down will make people feel cooler -- good in summer.
In the winter, you probably want it blowing upwards -- but maybe you don't need to run it at all during winter. And it don't matter which way it's blowing if it ain't blowin'.
Malcolm Hoar wrote:

LOL!!!

Blowing down feels cooler on the skin in the summer. Blowing up circulates the air without a draft in the winter. If you or anyone else in the room can't feel a difference, then it doesn't matter.

A difference which makes no difference is no difference. If you can't tell don't worry about it.
BTW, thinking of ladders, I recently saw a neighbor using a chain saw on a tree, while standing near the top pf a wobbly 16-foot ladder. That looked a lot scarier than any of the Halloween stuff.

Mark Lloyd

And speaking of chain saws and trees, one of the scariest injuries I ever saw when working in the ER was the hunter who tried to climb into his tree stand with a running chain saw. I have no idea what was so urgent that he couldn't wait to start the saw until he got up there....
Jo Ann
On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 17:08:49 -0000, "hillacc at yahoo.com"

I imagine the urgency was, he finally got that SOB running and he didn't want to try to start it again.