Ceiling drywall shadow-How to conceal

We just removed our old popcorn ceiling and had someone come in to patch etc and then apply a light texture to the ceiling. We have applied 2 coats of Lowe's American Tradition High Hiding Primer using the roller method of application. Depending on where you're standing you can see the darker area of the drywall (I call it a shadow). I can't really tell if this problem is consistant throughout or just in certain spots. I guess my questions are: Is this a common problem? Do we need to apply another coat of the same primer before applying the top coat of the finished paint (we plan on 2 coats)? Or do we need to use a different kind of primer to cover those "shadows" like Zinsser Bulls Eye 1.2.3 or Kilz?? Your help will be much appreciated!!! Susanne
You have not applied a finish coat of a good ceiling paint at this point? Only 2 coats of primer? Primer is generally not intended to give you a good looking finish, and may show some light or 'shadow-like' areas. It still effectively seals the drywall so the finish coat will NOT have that appearance. Go ahead and apply your finish coat. In fact, if you now have the primer applied so evenly, you may find that you only need one finish coat.
One tip on applying the finish coat: I've found that roller marks and the like are less noticeable if you try to roll in a direction that is not in line with the general line of sight as you enter the room. That is, say you generally come into the room through a doorway at one end. Try NOT to roll from that point to the other end of the room, rather roll from side to side in relation to the door. That way your eye won't be drawn to anything that might look like a line.
Mark

etc
area of

Is
primer
Or do

Zinsser

That is correct. We have "not" applied a finish coat at this point. We have only applied a primer (2 coats).
Thanks for your input. I guess we will proceed with the finish coat following your tip on roll in a direction that is not in line with the general line of sight as you enter the room.
In apprection, Susanne

good
And don't skimp on the paint. Cheap paint is too expensive. Why use 2 coats of cheap paint when you can use 1 coat of good paint? You need half as much paint, and it takes half as long. Sherwin Williams Super Paint is a good one. Some other top of the line paints are good too.

you
roll
side
that
That can usually be alleviated by using a roller with a good beveled edge. Again, don't skimp. Purdy White Dove are good.

etc
area of

Is
primer
Or do

Zinsser
When the ceiling are popcorned, they were not taped very well. Did this very thing on a home I just sold. I paid a drywall contractor to refloat the ceiling before painting. The first two coats looked like crap. Then I paid a pro to paint the home before sale. He ended up putting 2 more coats on to get it to not show the "shadows" which in my case were the seams.
He recommended a washable semi satin for the ceiling. Looked good when he was done.

What on earth for? Who needs a washable ceiling? Personally I don't like any glare or sheen in the ceiling, but to each his own. Ceilings are virtually always flat.
jeffc wrote:

Not in my house. Not in the bathrooms and not in the kitchen/dining area. I wouldn't have it any other way.

when he

Like I said - who on earth needs to wash their bathroom ceiling? What the heck are you doing in there?

Never had a mold bloom, have you? Even if you always run the fan, sometimes stuff grows. A wipable surface is a nice thing in damp areas. A non-porus surface reduces the odds of the mold getting down into the paper and drywall, if you catch it in time. aem sends....