CEILING

Hi everyone. We just purchased and moved into a manufactured home.
The ceilings are obviously sprayed with that bumpy spackle stuff before the walls etc are added.
We have a couple of cracks in the kitchen ceiling which I imagine happened when the unit was moved to our site.
Any suggestions on repair? I'd love to just remove it all but that looks like a horrendous job.
MoM

Drywall mud/spackle or whatever it's called. Apply in small amounts with your fingers to match the texture.
On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 15:08:27 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

I'd go with spackle. Joint compound/drywall mud is more likely to crack out again.
-- Christian

Yeah...that would work, too. I was also going to mention using the mesh tape for areas where cracks continually reappear, but we're talking about a textured surface.
"Hi everyone. We just purchased and moved into a manufactured home. "
Since it;s a new home, what warranty do you have? Before you start trying to fix it yourself, I'd check into that. Even cosmetic things like ceiling cracks may be covered for some initial period.
If it is new why should you fix anything, how about that warranty.

I bought a new trailer home one time. As I recall the warranty wasn't worth the paper it was written on. Getting a mobilehome dealer to stand behind what they sell was like getting a used car dealer to fix something. My experience has been that you'll fight them until you're tired of fighting and then you'll fix it yourself. I had a Clayton, maybe some brands are better.
Bob
Our family room remodel included removing the textured ceiling and it was done by spreading plastic on the floor, spraying ceiling with hand pump sprayers then wide blade "putty knife" to scrape off the material.

nospambob wrote:

Right. A little more infor here: http://alsnetbiz.com/homeimprovement/faq11.html

Thanks to all for the suggestions and information.
Much appreciated.
MoM
MoM wrote:

In Florida it's called a popcorn ceiling and comes plain or with mica glitter flakes. You can usually buy a textured ceiling spray for small areas or a repair kit for missing chunks. Screw holes from plants, etc. you can usually poke a bit of white cotton in the hole with a toothpick. A fine hairline crack you can even try dabbing on white toothpaste which hardens like a rock. Caution, spray christmas tree snow looks like it's doing the job, then turns yellow. :-(
Bob
http://www.corallakemhp.com