Cedar Post: Does Any Product Really Work to Retard Rot?

I have a specially turned cedar lamp post that I would like to preserve from rot as best possible. I have looked at various products but, based on the viscosity of the liquid and the fact that they seem to be water-based, I don't have much confidence in them. Is there any product that really works?? Thanks. Frank

Reply to
frank1492

I have cedar posts that have been in use in the garden for 15 years. I treated them with Green Cuprinol:

The posts show no signs of trouble so far.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Seal the end with tar. Roofing tar should work OK. Dig the hole 1 foot deeper and have the post rest on top of gravel. The post should last 15 years or perhaps many more. My mailbox post is going on its

17th year.
Reply to
Phisherman

Thanks to all. I have a gallon of Behr Post Protector (similar to the Cuprinol) home but will consider the tar idea which makes a lot of sense also. (Why not apply the roofing tar up the sides of the post as well?) Thanks again! Frank P.S. At Home Depot, is that called Roof Sealer?

Reply to
frank1492

Frank-

How about a metal post base where the wood is slightly ~2" above the dirt?

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

According to frank1492 :

Caution: coating the bottom of the post with tar will prevent the bottom of the post drying out, and will accelerate rot. This only works with pressure-applied anti-rot that leaves the bottom of the post still able to drain.

You want the bottom of the post being able to dry. That means using materials that _don't_ seal the wood below grade, and parking the very bottom of the post in something that drains well. Like gravel.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Thanks. I have gone with Behr Post Preservative (Similar to Cuprinol) and will dump some pea stones in the hole before I set the post. How's that for a compromise??? Frank

Reply to
frank1492