Cedar Fading in the sun

I created a playscape for my son a few years ago. I used Cedar because its supposed to last outside and does not contain some of the chemicals used in treated lumber. Unfortunately, the structure has turned a rather unsightly greyish color.

Is there any way to restore the color of this wood or protect it with something that I can feel comfortable with my son climbing on?

Reply to
dnoyeB

Well, you could pressure wash it. Then it will be back to the original color, but it will be furry and unsightly.

You could wash it with one of those "cedar restorers", but then it would be bright orange.

Your best bet is to find a penetrating stain that you can stain it with. Sherwin williams has a cedartone that does a good job with old cedar. It won't look exactly like new, but very close. I don't think there are any problems with it killing kids, but you will have to look that up yourself.

Reply to
Robert Allison

One person's unsightly gray is another's nice soft patina. Too late to revive it unless you sand off the top coating that has changed color. It should have been given a UV protective coating when new, like Penofin Oil.

Sand if you want and have the ambition (then coat with Penofin), otherwise, stain is about the only alternative.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

that "unslightly grey" is the natural wethering of exposed wood; esp redwood & cedar

my suggestion learn to appreciate it...........

the wood is doing it's job; a sound structure w/ no chemicals to harm your son.

btw my wife buys picture frames made form weathered barn wood..........go figure :)

otherwise, mechanically remove the weathered surface & paint Ugh!

if you designed & built this thing correctly (no earth contact & no mositure traps) it will serve for your son's kids as well

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Try regular bleach , or stronger a deck cleaner

Reply to
m Ransley