caulking for siding

Hi there,
I was about to caulk the new hardi siding on my garage (horizontal lap boards). Since the bottom part of each board kicks out from the lap, there is quite a bit of space to fill with caulk for each seam. Do I keep filling these gaps with oodles of caulk? This seems like it will be a very slow and tedious job... Any tips on how to caulk lap siding?
thanks
They make a insulation roll foam to back up caulk. Comes in 3 diameters that I know of. You fill gap with that first and then caulk. Think it is called backup rod or something like that. Just a dense foam spagetti like material available in hardware stores.

lap
lap, there

filling
slow and

http://www.sashco.com/products/backer_rod.shtml
jim ___ Have a home upkeep question? Try my help page. It's sort of an alt.home.repair FAQ. http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepair

there
filling
and
did you install it backwards? did you nail the overlap?
usually you would caulk only vertical joints NOT horizontal joints.
If you need to caulk all overlapped joints it is installed incorrectly.
M.C. somewhere in Ca.
I only have the vertical joints to caulk.

Some installations involve plastic clips that go in the vertical joints.

(horizontal lap

lap,
keep
very slow

joints.
Or metal ones that overlap the end of each board. I've seen some installations that don't use anything between the board and just butt the siding. They look crappy and I'm sure they will be a problem sometime in the future.