Catalytic Converter Anti-Theft Protection

Page 1 of 3
I got a call on Wednesday night from a friend the next street over who had the catalytic converter stolen off his 4-Runner during the night.
Searching on-line, I learned that Toyota trucks/SUVs are a prime target for catalytic converter thieves because of the high clearance and the ease of unbolting it or cutting the pipe.
I've been looking at the various theft protection devices:
"http://www.catclamp.com /" "http://www.cat-lock.com /" "http://store.winner-intl.com/the-cat-cuff-p27.aspx "
I'm thinking of just making my own with 5/16" wire rope since all of the commercial ones use wire rope too.
Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't see why a few turns of the wire rope on the pipe going into each side of the converter, and then cross-pattern spiral wrapping of the converter with the cable, then running the cable through frame members one each end would not be as good as the "cage" of horizontal cables used by the catclamp. I went under the vehicle and tried it with rope today to see how much cable I'd need. and it looks like about 20' would do it. I might also use some steel cable ties to tie the cable together where it crosses.
"http://www.mcmaster.com/#orders/=8szfrj " I'd use these bolted "swages" but I can route the cable so these are not reachable to undo them with wrenches.
Any suggestions.

Yeah, buy a car not easily crawled under, and/or fabricate a cage of 1/4" bar stock to bolt over the cat. Cables are too easy to cut. Having to secure a cat is about the stupidest thing I've heard in maybe 2 or 3 years. What's the world coming to?
--Vic
--Vic

Ah...how I long for the good ole days of "test pipes".

Non-California cats for a 4-Runner run about 80 bucks. Unless you pay a lot more I wouldn't bother trying to theft-proof it. A righteous thief might slice $800 of your tires when he sees how you want to deny him his fix.

They'll start carrying snips for the cables. Might even make a special trip back with snips.

The cage would have many bars to cut, some bucking the saw blade against the cat or elsewhere. Might have to drill through the floor to bolt in the cage. This entire exercise is too stupid for words, whether it's wrapping a cat with cables or putting a honking cage over it.
The answer is cracking down on the scrap yards with some perp walks.
--Vic
+1 Depending on year the converter can be found for cheaper online: http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&num &safe=off&q=4runner+catalytic+converter&scoring=p
There are other things the thief can steal with minimal noise and basic tools: rear bumper, tow hitch, antenna, running board, spare wheel, mud flaps, tailgate (for pickups), license plate... No way to protect them all.

The front market lights alone are good for a grand.
OEM ones purchased from a Toyota dealer, sure. Aftermarket units can be found on eBay for $50 each, or about $100 for a pair: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item 0514357095
You can even get projector units with CCFL "halos" for the same price: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item80266599975
Bottom line: most replacement parts for Toyotas are cheap enough that it isn't worth the trouble to come up with half-assed anti-theft measures.
On 9/11/2010 8:41 PM, First of One wrote:

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&num &safe=off&q=4runner+catalytic+converter&scoring=p
Move someplace where you can park inside?
--
aem sends...

On 9/11/2010 9:32 PM, aemeijers wrote:

Or elect folks who aren't worried about hurting feelings...

Nut.
--
http://desertphile.org

Sorry to butt in desertpile but you may be the nut here.
Just subtract the crime figures attributed to Latino illegal immigrants and their proginy and tell us what you come up with (the answer will be the reduced rate of crime). If you don't think the crime figures would be greatly reduced that would make _you_ the Nut!
dennis in nca

Possibly where you live, but not universally everywhere. Try your math on Detroit.
Cindy Hamilton

Okay, I give up. How does electing "folks who aren't worried about hurting feelings" prevent theft of catalytic converters?
--
http://desertphile.org
George sounds like a tea bagging boy to me

Tea bagging, or tea party? <grin>
one in the same. they picked the title, so they're stuck with it

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 18:23:03 -0700, "M. Balmer"

Yeah, I suppose so. I have not been following USA lunatics in the news, except for that weird O'Donnell woman who apparently ran on some kind of "sex is evil" political platform.
--
http://desertphile.org
Hey, if everyone used common sense there would be no need for senate committees, think tanks, lawyers, lobbists... We can't have that now can we? :-)
On 9/12/2010 2:30 PM, First of One wrote:

I meant like in a HOUSE, with a GARAGE. One of many reasons I refuse to live in an urban area or an apartment complex any more- I hate getting robbed on a regular basis. BTDT, said the hell with this noise. Costs me a little more money, and an extra ten minutes a day commuting, but I haven't been robbed in over five years here, knock on wood. And I don't have to scrape the car in cold weather. Once in a while, my garage door bounces back open after I press the 'close' button and drive off, and nothing has ever come up missing with it open all day. (or all night when I space out and forget to close it.) There are some advantages to nosy retired neighbors, about half with dogs.
I wouldn't live in a big city on a bet, even if I could find a job that paid enough to offset the higher expenses there.
--
aem sends...

Of course. I keep my Taco in my garage at home. However, it is still vulnerable when I drive it to work, where it sits unattended for 8 hours a day, at the same spot every day...