Casting concrete patterns in a patio

Hi all;
I have a brick and mortar patio that I need to re-set. It was originally put over native clayey soil and pea gravel, and the mortar has disintegrated. (It's been nearly 25 yrs so I can't complain too much).
I want to set an eight-point compass rose pattern in the center, using forms and poured colored concrete. The rose pattern will be "inlaid" in a circular or rectangular field of concrete maybe 3-5 feet across, which will be surrounded by the brick/mortar patio.
Has anybody tried this? Any pitfalls? Will the sharp points of the rose stand up to foot traffic and weather (Central Valley, N. Calif.)?
Thanks a heap, -Zz

Look into concrete staining before you make up your mind. I've seen some beautiful applications done with concrete saws and multiple colors.
--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement