Carrier 58MVP - was this a competent installation?

I just had our old furnace replaced with a Carrier 58MVP60 furnace. The existing 2-ton a/c system was installed in the new unit.

After the installer left and I had a chance to read thru the installation manual, I learned that none of the default dip-switch settings had been changed from the factory setup. Specifically:

  1. the AC fan speed switch was still set for the default of 1050 cfm whereas the manual says to set the AC fan speed to 700cfm for a 2-ton a/c unit.

  1. the manual says that when a bypass humidifier is installed, the "low heat rise adjust" switch should be turned on "to compensate for increased return air temperature caused with bypass humidifier". In my case this switch was left in the default 'off' position.

Also, the bypass humidifier was wired into the DEhumidifier connection rather than the designated humidifier connection.

Do I have any reason to complain about this installation? Are there other issues I should be worried about?

Reply to
Joe Shlabotnick

Hi Joe,

Could you please tell what company did installation? I just had same furnace installed, but never checked switch values.

Thanks

Reply to
<NoSpam

Call Carrier, did you pay, It sounds like you know more than the instaler which means there could be many more issues missed.

Reply to
m Ransley

Sounds like some mistakes were made. Do you have any other issues? I can't tell, I'm not there to look.

You're doing OK with the book -- keep going.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Checked my furnace (same model, 100BTU) that was installed a few weeks ago. Humidifier connected to right place (HUM) AC (air Conditioning) and (CF) continous fan - default values (all switches off). Where did you find that default values = 1050? I have just value DEF. SW1-3 switch - I have off, altough I installed bypass humidifier at the same time. As you said "if a bypass humidifier is used, setup swithc SW1-3 to ON". I am a bit confuesd about this switch and its relation to SW1-4. For SW1-3 it says: "Turn ON to increase Low Heat airflow by 18 percent. This compensates for increased return air temperature caused with bypasss humidifier." For SW1-4 it says: "Turn ON to decrease Low Heat airflow by 7 percent and High Heat airflow 8 percent for maximum comfort...". I have this set to ON.

So if SW1-3 increase Low Heat airflow and SW1-4 decreases it, what is the point? Or if SW1-3 is On, the SW1-4 should be OFF?

My installer was Direct Energy in Toronto, Canada.

Anyone here would know answer?

Reply to
Rim M.

There's a chart in the installation manual that sets out the possible cfm settings for each furnace model. There are also footnotes ("1" and "2") describing the default settings.

As far as the other settings go, who knows? Although you'd think Carrier would know best since they designed the things ...

installation

Reply to
Joe Shlabotnick