Carpet vs hardwood for home sale?

Page 2 of 3
On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 02:38:55 +0000, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Mine's a cheapie too, but it still (house is almost 20 years old) works fairly well. It kinda sticks if it's rammed home, but otherwise it rolls well. Were I planning to stay for several more years I'd likely put it on the upgrade list, but I'm not, so it's not.
--
Keith

boubou wrote:

<snip>
Nothign wrong with swinging patio doors. Sliders, let's see:
Mine is a quality Anderson.
Lousy job of sealing drafts out Constant problem keeping the track clean. Rollers are a bitch to change. Need a separate flimsy sliding screen if you want it open in nice weather. The screen comes off the track if you even breath on it wrong. Limited width for moving things in and out with no way to widen it. Poor security at least on mine, a couple flimsy little hooked pins is all it is.
I m sure there are other drawbacks. As for view - yes, it does give you that but is it that much more view than a good swinging patio door?
That is another "told ya so" for my wife and I remind her that I "told you so" when she insisted on having one evey time she bitches about it (same with the wallpaper).
Harry K
lol If I had my pick, I would have picked a garden door. Same view, no security issues.

Sorry to hear that Anderson is not up to par with that model. My Pella has no drafts, never needed changed rollers (this is our main door too), screen is sturdy and never came off the track.
How wide is your door that it is a limitation? Mine is an 8' and the true full opening is wider than any other door in the house, close to 4'. For security, there are two locks, one on the handle, the other on the track.
Our experiences are pretty close to complete opposite. I'd put in another tomorrow based on the good results with this door. As state in another post, the original put in by the builder was crap. This was expensive, but worth it.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

\\

...and popcorn ceilings!!
Liz
what's with the popcorn ceilings anyways! all builders use them! My new house has NO popcorn ceilings! yipee.

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 21:41:03 -0500, Liz wrote:

That's on my do_not_buy list, along with septic systems, wells, and unpaved roads. Ok, I'd *consider* a house with a septic system or well, for a few minutes anyway.
--
Keith

<SNIP>
I have always been told to NEVER spend money on selling a house. Do MINOR cosmetic improvements but NEVER major renovations. If you still think you need to, go with the hardwood floors....
On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 12:44:56 GMT, "Dr. Hardcrab"

(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
Ken Korona wrote:

A dirty and stained carpet will be seen as just another thing the buyer needs to do before they move in. Hardwood always seems to be a selling point. I'd refinish the floors.
--
--Marc

Ken Korona wrote:

Have you picked an agent out yet? Why not ask him/her? They should know what sells in your area in that price range. And they're motivated to sell. Of course, they don't care how much you put into it, but at least it's another data point.
--
--Marc

It is not always easier, trying to guess what will please buyers. Everyone is different. One trend around here is to set an asking price then offer a carpet replacement allowance. You may have to lift up the carpet so that prospective buyers can look at the hardwood themselves and judge whether it's good enough to repair. Hardwood is a big seller down here....be sure to get estimates on carpet replacement and repair/cleaning hardwood...before setting the amount of allowance you will give back to buyer.
"One trend around here is to set an asking price then offer a carpet replacement allowance. "
Trying to sell a house with carpet in poor shape IMO, is not a good idea even with a credit. Many buyers will devalue the home based on overall impression because of the way it looks more than the value of a reasonable carpet credit. You may find a buyer who will not, but it could take much longer
If the hardwood floors just need to be refinished, I would get the carpet out and do it pronto.
snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net says...

Is that refinishing with sanding, staining, etc?
If so, I'd get inexpensive low-pile neutral-colored carpet, and state that the hardwood floors are under there.
I wouldn't be moving furniture out, being off the floors for days, putting up with all that, just for a sale.
Yeah, I know hardwood floors are the hot thing right now, but...
There are a lot of buyers most interested in things being move-in for a start, then get do what they want as time goes on. Mebbe they didn't WANT the floors to be honey-oak, they'll be staining it a darker color anyway.
Just do what you need to make the house move-in, and that's it.
And I think the HGTV shows are designed to sell designers and remodellers.
Banty
"Is that refinishing with sanding, staining, etc?
If so, I'd get inexpensive low-pile neutral-colored carpet, and state that the hardwood floors are under there. I wouldn't be moving furniture out, being off the floors for days, putting up with all that, just for a sale. "
Doesn't sound like all that much trouble to make a house look really good with hardwood floors. You want to get a high price and quick sals. Brand new hardwood floors are going to do a lot more to achieve that than some contractor grade carpet. And I would expect the carpet to cost more than the refinishing. Telling buyers there are wood floors underneath isn't going to do much. The buyers will figure they must be crap, otherwise you wouldn't be covering them up with new carpet. And there's no way for them to know the truth either, since they can't see the wood without ripping out the carpet.
snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net says...

Naw - it's very common to have rugs over hardwood, and state that. Believe it or not, a lot of folks LIKE carpeting, and aren't just hiding icky hardwood floors.
I mean, if you're Mr. Flip This House - OK, do the hardwood floor thang.
But most people are actually trying to LIVE in their houses, and make a living, and have fun with friends, and tend to kids, etc. etc. etc., when they're fixing to sell. I just think there are other factors here other than totally sprucing a house up for market.
Sanding/staining/etc. is a BIG hassle. Getting a new carpet in isn't.
It's the different philosophies in selling houses. I'm in the midddle. On one hand, you aren't going to move something in the market very well that folks have to put a fair amount of money in just to get their family and furniture in - although some folks say just sell as is. On the other hand, IMO it's just nuts to spend $$$, mucho energy and time fixing up *somebody else's house* when you're trying to actually, y'know, LIVE a LIFE in THAT HOUSE.
So, IME and from folks in family and friends in real estate, a decent in-between philosophy is to fix things that most folks would find hard to live with and that might signal worries about the house condition, and that's it. Mebbe the house that Lisa LaPorta has fixed up for HGTV next door, or that Mr. Flippit has granite-countered, travertine-bathed, and hardwood-floored down the block, will move a little faster, but you'll get a decent price and actually not have to visit the doc for a back problem and the marriage counsellor before it's over.
Cheers, Banty
"On the other hand, IMO it's just nuts to spend $$$, mucho energy and time fixing up *somebody else's house* when you're trying to actually, y'know, LIVE a LIFE in THAT HOUSE.
So, IME and from folks in family and friends in real estate, a decent in-between philosophy is to fix things that most folks would find hard to live with and that might signal worries about the house condition, and that's it. "
So, based on that, you'd go and spend money for new carpet, when you could thow out the old carpet, have the existing hardwood floors refinished, and have hardwood floors to show, for less than the cost of new carpet?
snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net says...

I'd look into it first. But it isn't just the money. It's the time, too. But I'm not convinced carpet wouldn't be cheaper. The O.P was talking about one room with the ratty carpet, IIIRC.
Banty
Banty
scribbled this interesting note:

Read Freakonomics. It has a very interesting analysis about Real Estate agents and how they may, or may not be motivated to sell you house for the highest amount possible.
-- John Willis snipped-for-privacy@airmail.net (Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)

Never read it, but the scenario is easy with anyone working on commission.
Do you want 3% of $200,000 today or do you want to risk waiting because you may get $205,00 next week or the week after. Or you may not get another offer for two more months and it may be even less? OK what do you want to do?