Carpet measurements

I am getting conflicting info. Need to recarpet the clubhouse - 15 x 15 ft room. one estimate is 220 sq YDS and the other is 60 sq YDS. what am I missing here - other than the ability to figure out how many sq. yds. + excess for a 225 sq ft. room.

Reply to
Claudia

225 sq ft is 25 sq yards.
Reply to
willshak

Both of them are wrong. Sq foot / 9 = sq yard (15x15)/9=25sq yards

Reply to
Brian V

a 15x15 room is 225 square FEET. To get square yards you would have to divide that answer by 9 (3'x3'=9sq') which gives you 25 square yards.

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

You have 25 sq yards to cover. However, and this does not account for some of the numbers you got, it does not mean you only need 25 sq yards of carpet. Consider how wide the carpet comes, they will not and you will not, want to piece small pieces together to make use of some of the waste. I don't know how they figure the waste and charge you

I suggest you make sure they do the measuring and give you a firm price quote for the carpet you want installed with the pad you want and let them worry about how much carpet they will need and you worry about how much they are charging and if you trust them.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Most carpet is 12' wide, although some commercial is 15' wide. Using

12' wide material you will need to fill the side with a 3' wide piece, which means there will be at least one seam. If you only want one seam then you will need a 30' length of carpet, with a large piece of waste. But a good installer can produce seams that are not visible and the fill piece can be made from 4 pieces that are 3' x 3'9" which means the raw carpet length needed is 18' 9" or the 25 sq yds others have mentioned, and there is no waste. None of the above takes into account that most installers will cut the carpet 3" to 6" wider than the finished dimension.

John Keith snipped-for-privacy@juno.com

Reply to
John Keith

If you can find the product you like in a 15' width, you'll be much happier. You'll have zero seams and very little waste. The job will cost less because you'll need less labor and less carpet. Using a 18'9" by 12' piece and making multiple splices is doable, but you're not likely to be happy because that many seams will stand out like a sore thumb, unless the product you choose hides seams well AND your installer is top notch.

KB

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

Also the need to pattern match (if it is figured carpet) and grain match add into the needed amount.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

(15 ft / 3ft/yd)X(15ft / 3f/yd) = 5 yds X 5 yds= 25 yds

Reply to
Ron

Or 225/9=25.

Or 15*15/9=25

9 sq ft per sq yard...
Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Claudia:

C > I am getting conflicting info. Need to recarpet the clubhouse - 15 x 15 ft C > room. one estimate is 220 sq YDS and the other is 60 sq YDS. what am I C > missing here - other than the ability to figure out how many sq. yds. + C > excess for a 225 sq ft. room.

Another part of the equation is the 'repeat' in the carpet. If the carpet has a pattern it is necessary to line up the pattern at the seam. (IIRC carpet rolls usually come in 12' or 15' widths.)

  • 1970's--Passing the driving test
2000's--Passing the vision test
Reply to
barry martin

you may want to look at commercial carpet squares they come in 12, 24, and

36" sizes once they are down and have some traffic you cannot see the seams. advantage is that if you have a traffic pattern you can just replace those squares an easy to do DIY job. the building I work in is 1,000,000 sq feet of space and they use the squares everywhere due to different ages some have the small squares some the large. no padding underneath no tack strips etc..

found this place here but everyone carries them best art is spare tiles store in a box so they are easy to keep around

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne

Actually, the answer to his question is that the room is 225 sq ft or 25 sq yards. Sounds like to me that one figured sq footage and missed it by 5 and the other is charging him for 2 full cuts plus an allowance of 10 yards . I'd make sure I get the 8x16 remnant, though.

Reply to
ChairMan