Carbon monoxide detectors

Page 2 of 2
Art wrote:

the
sinks and

Hi Art. Thanks for letting me know about this. I ran the bathtub water and sink after reading your post. Until reading the replies on this thread, I didn't know anything about those traps.
Since you rarely use the bathroon the water in the toilet trap probably evaporated over time alowing sewer gas in, it will happen faster with sinks , tubs or any drain with a trap. If the smell went away it was a dry trap, If the smell doesn`t go away it could be a bad wax ring. The hardest to find and fix is an enclosed cracked vent stack. But since yours went away it was sewer gas comming in from a dry trap, just flush once in a while.
m Ransley wrote:

probably
The
flush
Hi. Thanks again for your help. As you can probably tell, most of this is new to me. Can you explain to me what these traps are for? I'm assuming they act as some kind of "buffer" in between the house and the sewer, but I'm not sure.
All a trap does is keep out sewer gas, so keep water in them.
HeatMan wrote:

Thanks for the information, Heat Man.