Capturing groudn water for sprinkler

Page 2 of 2

That is what I would do, much the simpler operation, no tanks to maintain, etc. I water about 1/2 acre using just 3 sprinkler heads attached to hoses that I move around, 30 minutes per setting. Yep, moving them is sorta annoying (8 times) but I didnt' want the nuisance of maintaining an underground installation. The '3 heads' was arrived at by experiment - seems to be just about optimal for my pump output. Pump runs approximate 50% of the time.
Harry K
On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 08:03:44 -0700, Harry K wrote:

3 heads would work for me too. But I would have to do a lot of digging and repiping and adding new valves since my system is in-ground. I have 6 zones now. Thats a lot of work. After all that, I would need at least 1 tank anyway unless I ran the jet pump pipe into the sump pit. I really don't want to do that because the sump water can be muddy as it is. I'd rather only have 1 pump to clean. I will filter the water before it gets into the tank.

I am in pittsburgh but those 50 gallon plastic drums are everwhere, check craiglist.
food and all sorts of stuff come in them.
if you can i would install a gravity drain line from basement sump pump to stream so a power outage or pump failure doesnt leave you with a flooded basement.....