Can laminate flooring be sealed?

Would laminate flooring (Pergo) or engineered hardwood be made water-resistant if I were to apply a coat of polyurathane to the underside of each piece before installing? I am trying to avoid edge warping Pergo gets from drinks spilling and seeping into the edges.

We have Pergo in our kitchen, now. It is not perfect but it is the cheapest flooring out side of vinyl tiles. Cost is king for right now, and our carpet is dirty, old --we are near the point that the sub-floor would be better than this stinking carpet.

Reply to
higgledy

For laminates the trick is use laminate glue on the edges like the way its done before the glueless snap-ins. I have the laminates in my kitchen and bathrooms without any glue and its fine. A little water is ok just wipe it off immediately.

Reply to
Jack

My understanding is these floors need to expand and contract. As mentioned; glue along the tung N groove is enough. Spills, if wiped right away will not have time to "seep" in or adversely affect the flooring. OTOH, you don't splash a bucket of water on them for cleaning.

Pick your poison.

Oren

Reply to
Oren

The floor probably already has a layer of laminate on the bottom. Poly isn't going to be any more water resistant than that.

Pergo will have instructions on installing the floor in wet environments. Generally you glue all the pieces together and seal the edges. The floor doesn't fail from underneath it fails between the planks.

Reply to
Cliff Hartle

installed correctly (it came with the house). If a liquid spills over any seam in the Pergo, the seam will wrap no matter how quickly it gets wiped and dried. I have witness this myself.

And if one responder install Pergo in his bathroom with no problem, that proves my kitchen floor was not installed correctly.

Thanks for the replies.

Cliff Hartle wrote:

Reply to
higgledy

Laminates, by nature of the material they are made from, is water resistant. I don't think a sealer is needed or would help.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Interesting question.... I have seen pergo get warped from water. Not nice...

I thought the newest stuff out offered some resistance to water... (better than previous generations)

When your at your local supplier look at alternatives and see if something better than pergo exists.. I am sure it does.

Tom

higgledy wrote:

Reply to
BocesLib