Can I use lag bolts to secure gutters?

Every spring I have to pound in the long nails that hold the gutters to the eaves. I'm wondering if it would be OK to replace the long nails with lag bolts.
Is this advisable or practical? Are there any considerations that I'm not seeing that would make this not safe?
Thanks.
--
To reply in e-mail, remove "ZZ" from the return address

My last gutter was installed with factory supplied square drive screws which were essentially lag screws with a internal square drive head. I see no reason you cannot use lag screws as long as you don't go over board with a diameter that will split the fascia. The ones supplied with my gutter were approximately 3/16" in diameter.
Regards,
John
On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 11:25:49 -0400, Binary_BillTheSailor@Sea++.com wrote:

i'd be sure to get screws that fit thru the aluminum sleeves or else you end up squeezing the gutters together. still holds but looks crappy. ...thehick

If the nails keep walking loose on a regular basis, I'd be wondering about the condition of the fascia board and/or rafter tails that they are nailed into. Do your gutters get full of ice every winter or something, or is this just thermal cycling pulling them out? I'd recommend buying an ice pick or awl, and literally poking around up there to look for soft spots. The difference between good wood and rotten will be quite apparent.
aem sends...

http://tinyurl.com/falq
jim ___ Have a home upkeep question? Try my help page. It's sort of an alt.home.repair FAQ. http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepair