Can a Remote Control Thermostat replace My Existing Thermostat?

Hello Everyone, I'm thinking about buying a remote control thermostat for my bedroom but want to be sure the unit I buy will is compatible with my thermostat. I'm disabled and once in bed, cannot get up in the middle of the night to adjust the thermostat. My apartment has electric heat and the thermostat is a simple unit with just one single knob to adjust the temperature. The thermostat I'm thinking of buying can be seen at http://www.smarthome.com/2491T1/Venstar-Thermostat-INSTEON-Remote-Control-Thermostat-1-Day-Programmable/p.aspx. I asked the building super here about this but he was not sure if that remote control thermostat could be wired in place of my existing unit. From what I've read online so far it looks like it would be compatible but I want to be sure. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide. Dan G.

http://www.smarthome.com/2491T1/Venstar-Thermostat-INSTEON-Remote-Control-Thermostat-1-Day-Programmable/p.aspx.
Your existing thermostat is most likely line voltage, and this remote is designed for low voltage, in fact this unit requires a 24 volt common, which is generally not found at a series 80 heating thermostat.

a wall thermostat using line voltage? There certainly are some, but most of the ones I've run into run at (nominal) 24V and have a relay somewhere.
(Might be a NY issue - whenever you run 120V you pretty much always have to put it in tubing or "Greenfield", which tilts the equation towards using lower voltages).
240 volt thermostats are very common, and quite likely, in commercial and industrial heating systems. They are very commonly available in every Home Dpot, Home Hardware or other building supply house and now available as graduated triac controls..
Check your voltages!
writes:

Typical line voltage electric heat thermostat are rated for 22 amps. If each room is on it's own stat, that stat is almost always going to be line voltage. If the total amperage of the baseboards being controlled by one stat exceeds 22 amps, you will typically have electric heat (silent) relays used, which are controlled by standard series 80 low voltage wiring
In my house the thermostat is adjusted maybe 1 or 2x per year. If you are adjusting yours daily, I recommend a programmable thermostat. If you just want your bedroom a little warmer some nights, I recommend an electric space heater with a remote control.
    Una
On Nov 21, 11:11pm, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.NOSPAMnet wrote:

You'll get better advice if we know mor eabout your existing thermostat. A manufacture and possibly a model number. Or perhaps a picture.