Can a hip roof be done in tin??

Does anyone know if a hip roof can be done in tin? Specifically the type of tin that has three ridges lengthwise? At some point in the next couple of years I'll have to replace the roof on my parents house, my family will be living in it by then, and I was thinking about using tin so with routine maintanance I should never have to replace it again in my lifetime. My biggest concern are the hips?? where the roof planes meet, with shingles you just cut in half and layer up after you've finished two adjoining sides but what do you do with a tin roof??

Bill

Reply to
myemail

They do it all the time in Florida, I am looking out my window at one. In real life it isn't "tin", it's aluminum or galvanized steel but that is whaty you are talking about. The metel gets put over a waterproof membrane that actually does the "dry in" part. The metal protects the membrane. (at least that is how our code reads) I suppose some places might allow it directly over felt paper.

Reply to
gfretwell

How are the ridges of the adjoining roof planes capped?? I just ask because I can't seem to get a minds eye picture of how this could be done.

Bill

Reply to
myemail

-----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

Nice picture at least I now know some type of 'tin' roofs have capping, it does appear to be something other than the type of roofing 'tin' I was asking about.

Just to be clear I'm asking about the kind of 'tin' roofing that comes in 32 inch width and is in varying lengths that has ridges on both edges and a ridge in the center. The ridges are what is overlapped when installing the roof.

Bill

Reply to
myemail

Nice picture at least I now know some type of 'tin' roofs have capping, it does appear to be something other than the type of roofing 'tin' I was asking about.

Just to be clear I'm asking about the kind of 'tin' roofing that comes in 32 inch width and is in varying lengths that has ridges on both edges and a ridge in the center. The ridges are what is overlapped when installing the roof.

Bill

go online and Look up Champion metal. they have a installation manual you should be able to download. This should give you a good idea of what is involved. Also your local Lumberyard will have instructions on how to install and flash a roof

Reply to
Mike

My neighbor has what you are talking about but it gets capped in a very similar way to the picture posted. If you can't find one I will go get a picture of his house (it's dark now)

Reply to
gfretwell