Calcium buildup

Had a plumber out on Thursday to check our backwater valve, while he was here I showed him our toilet, installed about 12-15 years ago. It had gotten to the point it was a very slow flush, and if we didn't hold the flush handle down for two or three seconds it didn't flush. Waste of water. He said looking at our toilet, we have a high level of calcium deposit, the bowl was relatively clean, we do it at least once a week. He recommended a new toilet.

OK, he was back yesterday and installed an American Standard Cadet Pro, flushes great, all is good again. But I have two questions.

Other than draining the toilet and pouring CLR or something similar down it regularly, is there a way to reduce the calcium?

Also, any opinions on the Cadet Pro as a toilet? Seems good so far, quick flush and all is gone, but it has been less than a day since the install.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

If, as Oren suggested, it's the rim jets that are getting blocked then you can spray CLR there. It's odd that a plumber would not know this, though. Get your water tested to see if you need a water softener.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

I'm sure the pumber knows, but that doesn't make him any money. Vinegar will have the same result as CLR

Reply to
ChairMan

Get your water tested ( usually free for basic test) and you may find it very hard. Softener will make a difference.

Cadet has a good reputation. Most of the 1.6 or 1.28 toilets today perform well. My preference is the models that are comfort height and elongated bowl with a slow close seat.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I got the comfort height, didn't think about the seat, plumber brought a new seat, then I remembered ours was a slow close, got him to move that between toilets.

I'll see about a water test.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Look into installing the ScaleBuster where your cold water line comes into the house. It has great reviews and I will be doing a bathroom remodel in the next few months (hopefully) and will have one installed then. Can be purchased at Home Depot and be sure and read the reviews.

I have this toilet and have had it about 6 or 7 years. I recommend it HIGHLY to anyone wanting a powerful low flow toilet. Well worth the few extra bucks compared to other toilets.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

I'll look into that, thanks.

As I said, so good so far, but thanks for a longevity report. The cats seem to like the box it came in. :-)

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Hahahahahaaaaaaa, cats like most any box they can get into.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann