Busted jigsaw motor - fixable?

Page 3 of 3
On Mon, 9 May 2016 20:10:56 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
My wife's Lincoln was 45% foreign sourced. It should be on the sticker.

That is more than some "foreign" cars built in the US. Honda Civic is 65% US/CND, Toyota Avalon 70%, Camry 75%, the same as Corvette.
On Tue, 10 May 2016 08:16:20 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
Yeah, we remember George Wallace and Forrest Gump.

Too warm to be bothered starting a fight.
--
A "Frisbeterian" believes that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and you can't get it back down.

Ralph Mowery posted for all of us...

Does the name Tanaka sound familiar? Denso, Bosch?
There was a discussion a couple of months ago here about IIRC a starter whether to buy a low price gamble or exact replacement.
--
Tekkie

e a

ell

ity

my

I always buy cheap shit for a car. As it'll most likely still outlast the rest of the car.
-- We've had a hot, dry summer this year. It was so hot that one of my neighbors said his wife even thawed out.

And depending on the supplier it sport about a 75% failure rate. Could have asked the price prior to authorizing the repair.
I would check the tension on the belts. Sounds like it's too high; which will cause this problem. Wasn't a Leece Neville was it?
--
Tekkie

On 5/8/2016 6:45 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

The cost of parts is usually the killer. Two years ago at work I bought a pump and motor assembly for $2050. Just had the pump portion rebuilt for $1950, motor not touched.

In most cases it's the labour that's the killer on rebuilds - if you can get the parts.

>> thought they were in the dodgy business of >> winding back the odometer on cars.

I had similar moment with rechargable drills. My first chargable drills have been Skil 2230. One time I went to buy a replacement battery pack, which was about $28.50. Home Depot had new ones for $20. It was a very sad moment, but I did buy the new one.

.

My replacement drill battery was going to be 25. I got the wrong battery for 10 (for a different drill) and moved the cells over.
-- Red meat isn't bad for you. Fuzzy blue-green meat is bad for you.

Presumably you can't rewind little motors as the coils are all glued together, or do they just dissolve that with a solvent first?
--
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

attached to a gearbox for both swinging and sliding door operators. If I had a bad motor that was beyond simple maintenance, I'd ship it to Southern Winding Service. The folks there have a lot of expertise when it comes to rewinding motors of any size. Of course, I had a few spare motors. ^_^

It would probably cost several times the cost of the jigsaw to get the motor rewound.
Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

I haven't read all the replies but he stated he had a shorted coil. Wouldn't he have to undercut the commutator or at least scrape out the safarcous to tell?
--
Tekkie

bits, found a shorted coil in the motor, and disconnected it. But it's still doing this (sew video). Is there anything that can be done, or does it go in the bucket?

ave a unique training program there -- it's called a lion.

utator and perhaps sand the end of the brushes a bit, not a lot, just get the glaze off of them. I've extended the life of a lot of universal motors in such a manner. ^_^

uldn't

s to

I looked up a wiring diagram and that kind of motor apparently has each coil connected between neighbouring contacts on the commutator. Not the way I expected, I always thought they'd be at 180 degrees to each other, but apparently the brushes always connect several coils in series. So I tested every neighbouring pair with an ohmeter, and one pair was 10 times less resistance, so I disconnected it.
Now I've just had a thought - I've done something daft haven't I? If one coil is disconnected, then the series of them is also disconnected, which explains the rough running of it still - it's only conducting in the other half? When I take it apart to think about changing the brushes, I'll do more resistance tests between the brushes at various points in the rotation.
However, if all I had was 1 shorted coil, and there's always 12 in series, why would that bother the motor in the first place?
-- Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
Oren posted for all of us...

A "growler"?

Make it purdy...

--