Burying black iron pipe

Page 1 of 3
I am laying a black iron pipe in a trench about 3' deep, that is a gas line for my NG grill. About 10' long.
My question is, would the pipe benefit from anti rust treatment, such as Cosmoline. Thanks
Ignoramus11107 wrote:

It could benefit from being replaced by a more appropriate material selection, such as the jacketed corrugated stainless gas line that is replacing black pipe for gas service most everywhere now.
On Sep 22, 12:31 pm, Ignoramus11107 <ignoramus11...@NOSPAM. 11107.invalid> wrote:

Why not run galvanized pipe?

Certainly a better idea than black iron. Locally they allow K copper.
Toller wrote:

Because some jurisdictions still require black for NG is at least one reason...
Toller wrote:

Correction to last...not worded as intended. Some jurisdictions still bar galvanized for NG rather than require black...

Galv pipe is not approved in my area for gas service. The authorities say the zinc will flake off in time on the inside of the pipe and cause plugging of the orifices in gas appliences
On Sep 22, 11:31 am, Ignoramus11107 <ignoramus11...@NOSPAM. 11107.invalid> wrote:

It will probable last 20-30 years without and treatment, BUT you would be much better off if you wrap it in the self adhesive tape that is available for this application. Usually it is available at a good plumbing supply. Around here, even galv pipe has to be wrapped where it passes through cement. The other way would be to run the proper type of poly tubing for gas service, also available at plumbing supplie stores. Many years ago, I ran gas to my house through black poly. Every time the area flooded, you could trace the path of the line by following the ting bubbles comeing up through the water. Not enough to smell or even be picked up with my gas detector, but the bubbles were there regardless
Ignoramus11107 wrote:

Black pipe is not appropriate for direct burial.
Ignoramus11107 wrote:

Get pipe rated for burial.
Black Iron, ain't it.
Cheers Trevor Jones
OK, what pipe should I use. That's for gas application. thanks
I need the answer ASAP.
On Sep 22, 12:14 pm, Ignoramus11107 <ignoramus11...@NOSPAM. 11107.invalid> wrote:

Pete answered your question. In my city, plumbers need special certification to run flex. It isn't even legal for a homeowner to mess with natural gas anyway. Might want to just call in a plumber so you don't cause some disaster sometime down the road.

That blanket statement is false. It's perfectly fine in my area.
steve
marson wrote:

Where is this not allowed? I installed a new natural gas service to my house in Middletown, Ohio 24 years ago. I had to use the orange plastic, and leave the trench open for the city inspection, then have CG&E run a leak test before I was allowed to fill the ditch and have my gas turned back on.
The guy from CG&E couldn't figure out how I got a full 21 foot piece of black iron pipe into the 12' * 12' basement, and was upset that I passed the test on the first try. He had bragged that licensed plumbers failed at least three times per location, before it passed and 'that there is no way in hell you'll pass if they can't'. He ran the test three times, in an attempt to fail me. After he finished, I explained how I got the pipe into the basement, in one piece. ;-)
prove it.

If you need the answer ASAP, go to the local plumbing supply place (not Home Cheapo, Lowes, etc) and ask them. Most likely they'll know the local code, or know someone who does.
The Usenet is not the place to ask questions that need answering "right now".

Plumbing stores, in my experience, are not the place either. They rarely, in my experience, know anything that they are willing to state about code requirements. The inspector is by far a better source of this info. Usenet is at least as good as plumbing stores.
Bob
Bob F wrote:

I went to a industrial pipe supplier. They sold the plastic pipe by the foot, and had all the special fittings, as well as copies of the local code, and phone numbers from the cities, and different utility companies. Not only did they have the right materials, they were the only source for almost 100 miles.
prove it.
Ignoramus11107 wrote:

Need more points for the troll-award 2007?
Nick
--
The lowcost-DRO:
<http://www.yadro.de

They make black steel pipe with a green plastic corrosion coating, available almost everywhere that carries black pipe.
You have to rust protect all scuffs or breaks in the pipe coating and all joints and couplings with black plastic pipe wrap tape, preferably with two or more coats (one before wrapping and one or two after) of brush on protective coating to seal the tape to the pipe.
Cosmolene won't last underground, it takes a barrier solution.
Make sure to put a shutoff valve before the underground section, so you don't have to turn off the whole house if it leaks. Make sure it's rated for fuel gas, not all plumbing valves are. And put a tee with a "drip leg" in front of the grill shutoff valve, so if there is any condensation in the pipe it doesn't get into your gas grille.
You have to take a special course to buy or use the corrugated stainless "flex line" for gas, but if you want to jump through the hoops to buy it they do make a plastic coated version that can be direct buried. And it will cost a bit more but install a whole lot faster and easier.
--<< Bruce >>--

I did a similar project years ago, and also used the green coated pipe and wrapped the joints with pipe tape. Now, apparently, my inspectors allow galvanized pipe also, but that wasn't the case then. It apparently can be related to your gas supply - what contaminates are in it that can corrode galvanized pipe.
Your best bet is to talk to your gas plumbing inspector. He knows what is OK for your area, and what he expects. You have to meet his (or her) standards to pass the inspection. I find these people to be very helpful when making these decisions.
Bob