Burnham boiler/company problems

I live in NJ and just had a a Burnham boiler (model 204BCL-TEi2)installed. After 4 visits, the contractor still cannot get the well to exceed 180 deg. He replaced the Honeywell? aquastat 4 times to no avail. He "fixed" it by mouting a honeywell strap-on aquastat about 40" above the boiler, on the outbound pipe. Not only does contractor believe he fixed it, Burnham wrote me a letter accepting this.
Can ANYONE endorse this jury-rig. I am living in aquastat hell and cannot believe Burnham would support this. There is no logical reason that the operating specs, efficiency etc. would be the same with a remote aquastat.
Thoughts?
Thanx, Tom.
I live in NJ and just had a a Burnham boiler (model 204BCL-TEi2)installed. After 4 visits, the contractor still cannot get the well to exceed 180 deg. He replaced the Honeywell? aquastat 4 times to no avail. He "fixed" it by mouting a honeywell strap-on aquastat about 40" above the boiler, on the outbound pipe. Not only does contractor believe he fixed it, Burnham wrote me a letter accepting this.
Can ANYONE endorse this jury-rig. I am living in aquastat hell and cannot believe Burnham would support this. There is no logical reason that the operating specs, efficiency etc. would be the same with a remote aquastat.
Thoughts?
Thanx, Tom.

1) I can't believe the original aquastat would not do the job. Are you/they sure the temp/pressor guage is correct? I've had brand new ones (on Burnhams) be incorrect right out of the crate.
2) See #1.
The big question is: Is it working?
The first 5 aquastats would not work. The contractor plugged in a handheld temp. guage & thermocouple setup and confirmed the boiler temp. guage is accurate. He installed a 13psi pressure regulator on incoming line and the pressure gauge is reading 13 +/- a degree. SO, we are both at the same conclusion. The contractor cannot figure out why the boiler will not work with the factory installed thermostat, or any thermostat in the designed location. YES, he replaced the well; but thats of no use since there is no finger in there now.
Is it working? YES, my issue is not related to basic functionality. My primary concern is related to original specs of efficiency and operational characteristics. I cannot believe the unit will be anywhere near efficiently run with a remote aquastat. I kinda think of the new aquastat location as another thermostat as they might be doing the same thing. ie. neither is monitoring the boiler temp with any accuracy.
HELP !!
Why would it matter where it is mounted for efficiency, 180 is 180 a few feet away won`t matter. I hope you dont need 180 now if you do at -10 you will be cold .

Not working as in not coming up to temp? Is the boiler undersized? Gas pressure to low? What type of boiler is this. The model number is not familiar. Greg
When contractor installed, the boiler was spec'd around 25% over my needs to accomodate a home expansion we plan. So no, the boiler should be sized ok. The "not working" simply means: I set the aquastat to ANYTHING above 180deg and the gas is turned off when the boiler temp guage hits 180deg. I set the aquastat to 220 (max it would go) and the boiler shuts off at 180deg. The contractor used remote temp guage to confirm boiler guage is accurate. I am not sure how to tell of pressure of gas, but my fireplace (40k btu) worked fine when I tested it last week. Since they share the same gas source, this confirms I have ample supply of gas. For past 11 years, with old boiler, I ran fireplace and boiler, stove, hw heater, dryer etc. all together without ever having this problem. It would really help me sleep to understand why the aquastat will not function correctly, but moreso- why would Burnham authorize a letter indicating the jury-rig is an approved setup?
Still looking..... Thanx, Tom.
And the pump turns off also? Well it should fire till it reaches aquastat temp and I don`t see gas as an issue a one stage valve won`t use a different amount of gas at any time in its operation and either way should not turn it off. It sounds like there is a temp control limit turning it off. What did Burnam say. What are your outside temps now and is this baseboard heat becace my boiler never reaches 180 till around zero, I have cast iron , for the boiler to get to 180 now at 40f outside the inside ould heat to 74-76. Try www.heatinghelp.com click on "The Wall"
I have a Burnham Boiler and had the luxury of disecting a bad aquastat. There is no mercury bulb in it. The probe which sits in the boiler tank is responsible for temp feedback. You have a low limit and a high limit. The aquastat I disected was faulty because of the high limit switch. There are some springs incorporated in the switch and it had popped off. Basically, if it keeps shutting off at 180 even when set higher, you too have a problem with the high limit switch or circuitry attached to it. I'm curious though, why would you need it set higher than 180?

Does the aqua stat have a mercury bulb, pull the cover and look , run to temp and see what the bulb does.

Tom.
I have looked over Burnhams site, and looked for the model you posted....its not there.
I have a couple of ideas, but in order to verify them, I have to see the wiring diagram on the unit you have...if you can find it, let me know, but as far as what you call a rig....you have to remember that each and EVERY install is different, and provided that the maker of the unit will accept it, its fine. Again...if you can locate that model, give me the link and I will see if my guess is correct and then, will let you know in here one way or the other, but if I cant see it, I cant comment.

That is my thought too, there probably is a 180 high limit somewhere that the installer is not finding. Greg
Thanx for inputs, yet I remain confused. There is indeed a limit switch, but Burnham shows this switch attached to the finger that goes into well. I consider this the aquastat. For my home to be comfortable, in colder temps, we need around 190deg at boiler. Burnham wrote a letter, that I spoke with Customer Service Manager (Annette) about and confirmed validity, that the strap does not compromise the 1 year warranty. Also, after closer inspection, the Model # listed in prior post does contain an error. It was copied from installation receipt. The actual model number is: 204NCL-TEi2. I am writing a letter to Burnham to insist on an inspection by company reps. I truly feel they are bullying me, and I cannot accept this.
Any other things to check ?
Greg O wrote:

won`t
either
limit
now
40f
click
that

You should go to www.heatinghelp.com "The Wall", good pros there will give you the correct answer in no time.
Im no pro but you say you are oversized 25% for a future addition and need 190 now when it is cold, did he put in the same size pump, do you have old large cast iron radiators or baseboard, If you have large CI you may have a sizing issue for the addition .
It sounds like your installer doesn`t know how to test your boiler to see what is wrong. Im sure you could do it with direction and a meter. Id guess it is the aquatsat first. Go to The Wall.

If CB says you have 2 then you are proven to have a hack. Just curious, you say he upsized you 25%. What size unit did you have , what did he install, what was the old units efficiency and what is the new units efficiency. I will bet the numbers don`t work. Now im no pro but when I see one thing go wrong on my jobs I look and usualy find the trend continues. Burnham would be interested also and will help.