Burn Time of Propane Tank

What is the approx burn time for a "BBQ" size propane tank on a propane heater at max output?

TIA HW

Reply to
HaroldWho

It depends on fuel consumption of the burner. Are you talking about a hibachi sized grill or a hummvee owner's 5 burner penus substitute?

Reply to
TCS

There are roughly 20,000 btu per pound of propane. If you know the size of you burner you can do the math.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

The size of heater would help!! Propane has 91,500 BTU per gallon if I remember. How many gallons in a propane tank? 3-4? If there is 3 gallons of propane in the tank it would run a 91,500 BTU heater for 3 hours at full output. ~45,000 BTU heater would run twice that. Do the math. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

At our house it seems to be between the time the steak is warm to the time it is raw. Especially if there are guests...

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

what would the math be on a 3,000 btu catalytic propane heater? (noting the manufacturer of the heater recommends the heater not be run off the "bbq" size tanks)

Reply to
effi

Assuming 3 gallons of propane, about 90 hours. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

I've got one of those campers types 3,000 BTU heater. I was out on a job this last week, the first day I did about two hours of work in the back of my van, and froze to the core. The next day I bought the heater, and hung it from a wire from the ceiling. Sure made all the difference in comfort.

I remember from some where they run 8 hours on a 16.0 ounce tank, on full blast. Can't give you a quote.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Easy, burn time = 100%, no approximations necessary.

You're welcome. mikey

Reply to
mikey

I liked this one. Five burner penus substitute. That's graphic.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

In alt.home.repair on Sat, 18 Dec 2004 19:32:35 -0000 HaroldWho posted:

There is more than one size propane tank used on BBQs, just as there is more than one size BBQ.

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

Yes, but 99.5% are 20 pounds.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Cite the source for your assertation, please.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

My eyes. Ever watch what is sold and what goes on at the fill stations? Every Sunbeam, Charbroil, Weber, etc that comes with a tank comes with a 20 pound tank. They have stacks of them for sale at Home Depot, BJ,s WalMart, etc. The Blue Rhino exchange stations carry them exclusively in this area. Exceptions may exist, but they are rare. Campers have larger tanks but they are intended for stove and heater use, not outdoor grills.

Prove my assertion invalid. I may be on the low side. Could be 99.655%

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Uhh. Some of the smaller campers (19 foot) like mine use 20 pounders. But certainly the rest of what you say is true. Maybe we just aren't in the upper class group that uses 40 pound tanks for their 6 foot by 10 foot BBQ. I personally have seen only one BBQ with anything except a 20 pound (5 gallon) tank. Ain't this fun?

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Evidently "meirman" thinks it is important to know the exact percentage of grills with 20 pound tanks. If it is critical to him, he can do the research. I do know it is damned few that do not.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

What is an "assertation"??

Reply to
Gideon

An assertation is what a donkey uses to graduate from college.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon