burn in microwave

We had an occassion to burn some potatoes severely in the microwave, where it totally enveloped our kitchen in smoke. The microwave now has a burnt smell to it, and when used, emits a burnt odor to the house. Any suggestions on how to remedy this situation? Where is the smell still coming from? The vent? What is causing the smell to still linger after a wee? Any possible damage could have been done by the smoke to the microwave?
Thanks and much regards
Add pictures here
βœ–

in the

used, emits

Where is the

to still

by the smoke

Try a paste of baking soda. Scrub it around inside the microwave with a papertowel and then wash it out. Maybe even a couple times. I did this at my parents house when my dad misread the box and nuked some scrambled eggs for 12 minutes instead of 1-2 minutes. The smell got out of the microwave pretty much but we had to burn candles for days to get that burnt smell out of the house. Good Luck.
Add pictures here
βœ–
My wife once nuked potatoes for baked potatoes for 45 minutes:)
We ditched the microwave, it was totally burnt.
one of my amusing jen stories
Add pictures here
βœ–
We accidentally fat fingered the buttons when cooking rice ... yes, rice cooks real well in the microwave, but that's for another newsgroup. It was so bad that the fusable fire detector link above the oven ceiling, opened and stopped the microwave. Because this is a built-in, replacement was not cheap. A new "flame detector," less than $10, made it work again. We boiled vinegar and water, etc. but it still smelled for some time. However, time healed all, and after a few weeks, all was well.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
Art Todesco wrote ... yes, rice cooks real well in the microwave
============= The Pampered Chef© markets some great rice cookers designed for the microwave. Just be certain to put a paper plate or some paper towels underneath in case the starchy water boils over. Our Chinese neighbors introduced us to the rice cookers which are very inexpensive and rather foolproof - assuming one can push the correct buttons on the microwave. :) :)
Add pictures here
βœ–
We just use a covered bowl, however, taller is better than larger diameter because of the mentioned boil-over. But the glass turning tray catches it pretty well. We use full power for enough time to get the water boiling, then 1/2 power for 10 minutes. Because of different power ovens and different amounts of water/rice, times will be different, so you have to experiment. Once you have it, it should be good for that oven/amount, always.
Gideon wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–

One of my exes used a smoke alarm as a kitchen timer.
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

It was the gods punishing you for cooking potatoes in a microwave. By the way, you can't bake potatoes in a microwave. Can I presume you were going to serve them with boiled t-bone steak.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Putting wee in it sure couldn't have helped matters.
Add pictures here
βœ–

emits
smoke
It's amazing how funny that is at 3 AM. ROTFLMAO.
Add pictures here
βœ–
At a pittsburgh convenience store a customer brought in a fake penis, filled with drug free urine, he was going for a test and it had frozen.
anyhow he nuked it too much and the store employee smelling a off odor opened the door to check. the druggie and his girl friend ran out of the store.
store employee though someone had been castrated, police detectives big investigation, wheres the body?
anyhow a day or so later it became clear no one was injured.
I HEARD THE MICROWAVE IS AVAILABLE FOR FREE IF YOU POICK IT UP!
Honestlky this is a true story, except they discarded the microwave
Add pictures here
βœ–

LOL, obviously I meant week.
Much regards for all suggestions

Add pictures here
βœ–
baking soda will help. also you might try putting charcoal inside on a plate (don't nuke the charcoal, just leave it in for a few days to absorb the odor.
i had a stinky refrigerator in a rental unit. i had some (but not complete) luck using baking soda and charcoal to remove the odor.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Not obvious to me. I thought you were Scottish and meant "wee bit of time.".

βœ–
My mother in law did that to our microwave. It damaged the microwave, which started coming on by itself. Go buy a new microwave and count yourself lucky that you did not burn the house down.
Stretch
Add pictures here
βœ–